Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low production!!!

Default low production!!!

I am having problems with breastfeeding my 5th child (5 1/2 months old.) I have breastfed my 4 other children 2 years each with no issues. My son was never a 'voracious' eater, but he did okay for his first 2 weeks. He then became very sick and was unable to nurse for several weeks. I did not pump like I should have and I am guessing that is why I am having problems now, although once he was well I went back to solely nursing him. Now, I am nursing him Many times throughout the day, but also am usually giving him a supplemental bottle of formula (about 2-4 oz) daily. He is now a chubby, healthy little baby, but I feel like my production is very low. I have to pump for an inordinate amount of time for only a few ounces. I feel no fullness or letdown like I felt with my other children. I really want to keep nursing. What can I do to improve my production? I am thinking about renting an electric pump or maybe taking herbs. Does anyone have any ideas??
    Thanks!

Default Re: low production!!!

what are his wet diapars like?
    what kind of pump? is it old or used? sometimes pumps need replaced
    2-4 oz of formula daily you should be able to make up with a little extra pumping or just putting the baby to the breast!
    heres a good link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

Thanks for the link...very helpful!
    He is 5 1/2 months old and weighs 17 lbs. He has 10+ wet diapers a day. He only has a bowel movement every 7-10 days. I have talked to his Dr. about this several times, as I just don't see how this can be healthy, but she says that he is fine. The pump I am using is an old, manual pump...maybe I should rent a hospital grade pump for awhile. I have been supplementing him because I feel like I am just not producing enough for him, but will stop and nurse even more -if that's possible -seems like that is all I am doing
    Thanks for your help!

yeah you might have beter luck with a rented pump, you could rent it just for a month and pay for it with what you would have paid for the formula.
    Your local LLL leader could tell you where you can rent a pump
    its normal for mostly breastfeed babies that are older not to poop every day.
    some go 7-10 days with out pooping.
    Do you co-sleep? that helps some moms, the skin to skin contact and unlimited night time nursing might help.
    Its hard with older kids! You forget as they get older how much work a newborn baby is.
    my kids are 17,10,5,3.... adding number 4 was realy hard.

first nurse nurse nurse..sounds like ur doing that already...is ur lo still acting hungry? how many wet,dirty? if all is well and ur just worried about ur supply u can try the herbs..what worked for me was i started fenugreek and it helped..it takes any where from 24-72hrs to work...u can use it short term or long term...but of course keep in mind everyone is diffrent so just take that into consideration when trying it..check allergies i think u cant take if allergic to peanuts....another thing ive heard on here is oatmeal eat a bowl everyday....good luck

Quote Originally Posted by akjen View Post
    He is 5 1/2 months old and weighs 17 lbs. He has 10+ wet diapers a day.
    17 pounds is a nice sturdy weight for an infant that age. 10+ wets is terrific and it seems like there may be no cause for concern. He is gaining weight? (normal to slow down around this age) He is Obviously getting tons of milk. You would see a fraction of those diapers if he was getting less than enough milk. From what I understand breast feeding varies from child to child even if you have lots of experience bfing, and it looks like this time you are having less signals that you are producing milk. I would urge you to look at your child and ask yourself whether you really see a problem or if it could be that your body is doing what it is supposed to without earth shattering letdowns and balloon like breast fullness. (many women experience little or no signs of either of these as child grows older)