Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old not gaining, twice

Question 9 month old not gaining, twice

I have a very active happy 9 month old who I believe (from our home scale) isn't gaining weight. She was 6.13 at birth, now somewhere between 14 and 15 pounds?, 27 1/2 in (At 1 month was 8.5, 2 month 11.4, 4 months 12.14, 6 months 13.12) She loves to eat solids (veg, fruit, rice cereal) but now I think I should cut back. I've recently let her sleep through the night without feeding so I don't want to have to wake up. (Though if I get engourged I do feed her).

The strange thing is this happened with her 3 year old sister at 9 months, she wouldn't gain weight! 7.10 at birth then at 4 month 13.10, 6 months 14.4 and down to 14.3 at 9 months, she's now over 30 pounds and ever since 1 when she was 17.12 has been gaining well. (But still a highly active, intelligent, alert baby) She had a blood and urine test but nothing was found.The 3 year old has food allergies and had eczema and such early on, I thought this was the reason for weight problems. But the baby has no eczema, and hasn't had gas or problems from my milk since she was 3 months old.

Sorry this is so long, but now that this is happening again, I'm kind of worried, I think perhaps last time I gave a little formula for a while to increase weight, I also gave anything fattening I could find and that was during the month she ended up losing weight. Is this normal, could it be my breast milk? (She wets about 8 diapers a day and poops every couple days, very firm from the vegetables. Going through the whole too busy to bf a lot thing but never acts hungry unless it's been hours).

Default Re: 9 month old not gaining, twice

Since most infants are quite active by 9 months, it is normal for them to slow down with the weight gain. Keep in mind that genetics plays a big role in what body type the babies end up with. I would really try not to worry about it if possible.

Default Re: 9 month old not gaining, twice

Thanks, I'm trying not to worry I just get myself worked up worrying, plus I don't want to take her to her next appointment and go through the whole "I'm really concerned about her" thing, and going back for weight checks makes it worse, plus they are so expensive. I am just wondering if she is 14 pounds is that enough? Does it matter? I don't see any growth delays or problems, (my 3 year old dropped down from 75% to 25% on height once while not gaining but then came back up). I haven't seen too many similiar cases so I'm curious.