Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drooling Newborn

Wink Drooling Newborn

Hello everyone. I have a soon to be eight week old baby girl and I have noticed that since day one she salivated alot! But now its worst than ever. I would wipe off the saliva from her mouth and next thing you know it back with a vengance all over her face! Is this typical of newborns or is my newborn blessed with this special ability?
    Thanks

Default Re: Drooling Newborn

I think it just might be an special ability by your LO. Cause my son will be 5 weeks tomorrow and he dosen't drool really at all. Maybe she'll grow out of it.

Not that I think your LO doesn't have special talents, but my 5 week old is starting to drool and make a lot of spit bubbles too. Dr. Sears' baby book says that this is normal around the end of the first month and should subside as soon as baby learns how to swallow all of the spit they are now making.
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Thats good to know!!! Honestly those spit bubbles are driving me nuts.

My LO started drooling really early and we now have a tooth bud at 4 months 3weeks!! You never know! I would keep telling my hubby that he was teething & he would call me crazy b/c it was so early. Turns out I was right!

The salivary glands develop and kick into action and babies just drool out what they can't deal with. Totally normal. It can also be the sign that some teething may start to happen soon.

She started to drool real bad since the day I gave birth to her. When the baby was given to me to breastfeed, her mouth was all full of saliva and to this day I have to suction out her saliva because sometimes she chokes on it. Hopefully she is not teething, that would be the end of breastfeeding for me

my 3 mo baby girl has always drooled, in fact it gets worse when she's hungry! I find it quite amusing, my son didn't drool until he was teething.

Quote Originally Posted by tatiana84 View Post
    Hopefully she is not teething, that would be the end of breastfeeding for me
    Many mothers find that they can work around the teeth. I do.

I agree that teething will def be very hard...
    *shudders*
    very, very hard.. but even then, I doubt we can quit...

The drooling thing is a widespread baby power, I suppose, since Dyl also enjoys spit and functions of spit..and I can think of a few other babies that also do