Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 years still waking alot

Default 2 years still waking alot

Just wondering... anyone out there with a 2 year old, cosleeper who still wakes every couple of hours at night?

Default Re: 2 years still waking alot

My kidos never slept through the night till they were weaned. So for me that meant night feedings till 20 months for first one and 28 months for second one... I still nurse my 16 month old during the night. I don't expect her to sleep through the night to she weans, either. Hang in there, they grow up fast.

My 21 month old son still wakes several times through the night to nurse and still sleeps with my husband and myself.

my dd is almost 3 and she still gets up alot!
    My 9 year old didn't start sleeping alll night untill he was about 6 then he started wetting the bed. I would much rather they get up then wet the bed!
    My 3 year old starts out in her own bed and sometimes she comes and gets in bed with me.
    Some nights I sleep on a fouton with her and my 4 year old. My hubby works a nutty 3am-2pm shift at work so he needs his sleep.

My 29 month old wakes up quite frequently to nurse still. We co sleep also. Sometimes he has nursed ALL NIGHT, I mean for at least a total of 4 hours.
    (mostly just pacifying himself, not for food) Needless to say, I also wonder when he wll sleep without waking. I will say that when I get him a good snack before bed time, (like a whole banana) he sleeps much better. The thing is, you know how they will go days without eating much, then days when all they do is eat, I am pretty sure if I paid attention, the times of barely eating assured the nursing all night. They have their growth spurts at this age........ If there is a magic answer to this night time habit nursing, I would love to know....Gen

my dd turned 2 the 19th and still wakes to nurse. I'm sure its out of habbit. Like if I ALWAYS eat at 11:00 I will always get hungry at 11:00 even if I ate at 10:00. It really does help if I can put her down awake (sure you're familiar with this theory) but that works when she's not teething, hasn't had a super busy day, isn't over tired, etc. In other words, once in a blue moon. But she'd probably sleep better under these circumstances anyway. I just put her into bed after nursing her and tell her I'll be right back. When I come back, and its worked, she's asleep. She still wakes on those nights, but is a LITTLE more likely to resettle herself if I give her a few seconds. Sometimes she'll stir a bit, mutter, "nursie!" and fall back to sleep.

But typically, I THINK I get a four hour stretch of solid sleep somewhere during the night, but I'm too out of it to know how often or frequently she actually nurses. When she does, I think it seems longer than it really is. It would be a real pain if I didn't bring her into my bed on her first night waking. I'm sure the change in beds doesn't help her night waking any but it does help my sleep.

My DS recently turned 2 and still wakes 9 or 10 times a night. I'm really wanting to decrease the night wakings/nursings, but I'm not sure how to go about it (I posted this question on the Sleep forum). Even after reading several sleep books, I'm a little confused. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It sounds to me like your little one has developed a nursing association with sleep. Have you read The No Cry Sleep Solution? It may be of benefit to you

Yes, I've read No-Cry Sleep Solution. I wrote a more detailed description of our situation on the Sleep forum, but basically my confusion is that the suggestions for all night nursers generally involve the "Pantley pull-off" to teach baby to fall back to sleep without being latched on. It seems to suggest that this will in time naturally lead to fewer wakings to nurse, but for us it has not. DS has unlatched on his own and THEN gone back to sleep for over a year but still wakes frequently and wants to nurse each time.

Ugh! The ppo! I still try it sometimes but I think it just makes her latch back on and drink more... The concept makes sense, but it has mostly frustratied me. I think it trains her tummy to get even hungrier, makes her wet her diaper which seems to wake her as well - especially after a very successful toilet day. And it just takes longer to get her to fall asleep.

My husband has offered to take dd for an entire night while I join some women camping.. This is very tempting, though I'll probably not sleep well just cause I'm wondering how they're doing. I have always been the nightime parent and she's a real mama's girl, but when I'm gone, like during nap time, she does fine if she's with the right adult. I'm wondering if this would be a good daddy-daughter opportunity. And I'm just so thrilled he offered!