Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help - simply can't pump!

Default Need help - simply can't pump!

I am brand new here - and desperate for help!

Some background: My son is 8.5 months old and has been exclusively breastfed. Starting soon after he was born, I attempted to express milk with meager success --- each pumping session of 20-30 minutes would yield only 2 ozs. or so. I attempted to use several types of pumps, however, I must admit that I have never used a "hospital-grade" pump. The pump I currently have is Medela's Double Select.

Due to my difficulty in expressing and the fact that I'm a SAHM, I didn't stress over my inability to pump. However, after nearly 9 months, I need to be able to have other people take care of my little guy for more than a 4 hour stretch and I really do not want to introduce formula since we've made it this far!

So, any tips? Encouragement? Is this a lost cause since I haven't pumped in such a long time? I've found a couple of good tips here on the message boards, but if anyone has any other suggestions or resources that you can point me to it would be soooo appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Default Re: Need help - simply can't pump!

Although I hate to be one of the folks who whines wondering why no one is responding....I am starting to wonder! Not only have I posted here with no replies, but I also left a message for my local La Leche League leader last week and still haven't received a return message....I am starting to wonder!

At any rate, I think that i have found a solution, so I will post it in the hopes that it will help someone else...

A friend of mine suggested that I bring my baby to the breast, get him to start suckling, then switch him to the other breast and immediately start pumping on the first breast. This has worked wonderfully for us (clearly my problem is that I have difficulty in achieving a "let-down" without my baby's help!) Hope this helps someone!

Hi!

I am sorry no one responded to your question and that I overlooked it yesterday when I was on the board.

I am glad you found a solution that works for you. Since you are bf-ing full time at home, I think you aren't going to get much extra milk by pumping. It sounds like you have enough milk stored from your 2-oz sessions to go out at least once, and then you can pump when you come back. You'll be amazed at how much you get pumping that time.

I hope you have fun!

I am sorry no one responded. I meant to yesterday but didn't get back to the computer. I have a friend that never could express, so I am really of no help. I started pumping almost immediately when I was super full (right after dd's birth) and I don't know if tha'ts why it was so easy, or if I have a super easy letdown. I know it takes about 60-120 seconds for my letdown to occur. I also get more milk when dd nurses on one side and I pump on the other and I know some people who have more success with one pump than others. I have only used the ameda purely yours so I don't know about that but my sil tried the ameda and another cheapo pump and liked the cheapo pump better and got more milk.

Anyway...I know they say to smell something like your baby and look at pictures, but that never helped me to letdown any faster or anything. It takes me 60-120 s when I am nursing too. I guess I don't really have any suggestions but if you need more milk you might try another pump???

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi!

Try pumping in the morning after a feeding. I know I have more milk in the morning.

Also keep baby near you or a picture. That will help alot of Moms get a letdown

I have a Medela PISA. I am not familiar with the model you have. You may want to rent a hospital grade pump to see if its the pump thats hindering your letdown.

I pumped for a year with my son. So I know what you are going through.

{{{hugs}}} You can do it! Relax and clear your mind of nithung but your baby.

Another thing that helps me is to put Lanolin on my nipples before putting in the flanges. The lubrication helps a bunch!