Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Me again

Question Me again

K I must be getting really annoying now LOL but I have another Q, ok last night I felt sort of a hard spot on my boob, it was not a lump (ball) but a lil longer, and sore to the touch, I figured it was a plugged duct, but I am not sure of course, should I be concerned? I don't feel it right now though, so that sort of is a lil relief lol In my book it said that if so, I need to get a LOT of rest, says it could be caused by doing too much (I do laundry, tidy up, cook dinner) is that really too much? I mean I can't just lay here all day long lol as much as I love just laying with my baby, I have to get things done or I'd go nuts lol

Default Re: Me again

Of course you are not getting annoying! This is what we're all here for so keep asking your questions. Breastfeeding goes so much better when we all have some support!
    Good for you for noticing that hard spot and for asking about it immediately. You are right that it is likely a plugged duct - or one that is building. You want to get on this right away and work the plug out. First, keep nursing as much as possible. Baby is the best way to pull stuff through! Also, it's very important to use warm, moist heat on the area to help soften th e plugs and to help the milk flow. You can use a cloth or disposo diaper that you have wet with water and then microwaved; this works well, just be sure not to get it too hot! You can put a thin layer of cloth or even a papertowel between your skin and the heat compress, too, if that makes it more comfortable. After you apply heat for 30 or so seconds, remove the heat and take a good look at your breast. Are any areas particularly red and splotchy looking? If so, that's telling you the area you want to focus on with gentle massage. Heat for a few minutes more, then use gentle (but firm, if that makes sense) pressure from your fingertips and massage down the breast, over/through the red areas and where you feel the lump, towards the nipple. This will help break up and move the blockages along. And like I said, nurse, nurse, nurse! When you are feeling these lumpy things, you want to try to use this heating 4 or 5 times a day for 5-10 minutes each time, then taper down - but this may take a week. You may find - if you pump or hand express - that you'll see a solid bit of milk, almost like angel hair pasta (!), come out... don't be grossed out; that's just passing the plug! I've had tons of plugges ducts and bleb issues (more on blebs in a minute) but never saw these solids, but I know other women who have.
    Now... take another look at your nipples... Do you see any white spots that might look almost like a pimple or maybe just a tiny bit crusty? This would be fairly isolated and localized somewhere on the tip of the nipple. If so, this is a bleb, sometimes called a 'milk blister'. It's basically the 'top' of a plug. If you see this, there are ways to deal with clearing it that are an extension of what I've described above (so start with that!). PM me or just respond here and I'll send you the detailed bit I've written on blebs and how to cope with them. I had MANY sessions with lactation consultants to deal with a recurring bleb so am very happy to share my experience on this - though I hope you won't need it.
    A couple of questions.... are your nursing bras fitting you properly? If they are too tight - especially if they have underwires - you could be predisposing yourself to plugged ducts. So have a look at this and make sure you aren't binding yourself up too much! Also, I know you were having some issues with pumping and pain there-after.... When you pump, are you trying to make sure you are getting a good clearance of milk? You'll never truly empty your breasts as they make more whenever there is room, but after you pump, it's a good idea to massage and hand express out the last bits - depending on the efficiency of your pump and how used to it your body is or not, you may find that you get quite alot out this way, even after pumping! It's good to do this; it helps pull and push milk through from places that the pump really doesn't reach well.
    OK.... this was a long response with alot of info! Try the heating and massage and come back and let us know how you are doing - and do let me know if you want the bleb info.

Sorry - I didn't answer the "am I doing too much" part, I was so focused on helping with the plug! Well.... let's be honest. We all try to do too much as new moms because there just is alot to do and we feel the pressure to not let down on things we used to do as it if were nothing. It is very important, though, to get as much rest as you can (harder to do than to say, I know), eat well and healthily, and stay hydrated. If you feel overly exhausted - as in, even more than you would expect for getting less sleep AND being a food source for another human being - then by all means, try to grab the extra nap and cut back on things that really don't need doing. Cutting down on stress, if you can, is also found to be helpful when dealing with plugged ducts. You know, the more tense and rigid the body, the less well everything flows.... I wouldn't say you need to confine yourself to bed by any means! But DO take care of yourself and DO keep careful notice of your breasts and lumps and such. Without proper care, these things can lead to mastitis and that would certainly land you in bed for a while.

Good luck and keep up all the good work!
    Jsmom
    Last edited by jsmom; April 20th, 2006 at 10:59 AM.

thanks for your response hun, it is very helpful! well as I said I don't feel it there anymore but I have been making sure to nurse a lil extra on that side since last night, I will do the heat too if I notice anything again, or heck maybe I will this afternoon anyways, just in case, I also have my 6 week apt on May 1, so I'll be able to talk to my midwife about it, but thank you! the blebs, I don't see anything so I'm good for now oh and I haven't pumped since that first time lol I want to order bigger flanges, and my nursing bras are not too tight ty for all your help!

I'll try to take it a lil easier too lol ty!

Glad you are doing better! If I were you, I'd do a day or two of the heating and massage. One of the many things I didn't realize when I was going through all this is that it actually takes the body longer to fully get over these things than we can feel! The obvious symptoms may be gone, but there are still residual 'stuffs' that are being worked out. So err on the side of taking extra good care of you and your breasts...and, of course, baby!
    Jsmom

thanks I will hun oh and hey can you PM me about the blebs please? ty!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

I just PM'd you a long bit on blebs, etc. And from reading all your various posts to a variety of topics, it sure does sound (as Carol and others have said, I believe) like you've got MER/OALD and maybe some oversupply - all of which is contributing to the total picture of your breast issues and baby's gassiness/fussiness. For what it's worth, this is SOOO similar to what I've been through - and I'm sure many others on this forum. It does get better!! Just keep on top of it, take care of yourself and even stop to be thankful for the extra supply! While a nuisance, it's sure a good thing if you can manage it. If/when you can get back to your pump, use the oversupply to stock some for the freezer. In the meantime, hand express into a bottle or two...
    good luck............Jsmom

thanks sweetie today I decided to when I had let down and he pulled off I did the whole towel thing, there is one spot that squirts out like a hose! lol so I squeezed onto a towel til it was just dripping and not spraying and we were able to finish thanks all of you so much really!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC