Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby choked with my Overactive let down!!!!

Unhappy Baby choked with my Overactive let down!!!!

I am scared to death right now! I gave birth to my baby girl on April 12, 2007 and unfortunately she stayed in the hospital for two whole weeks due to some bad reflux, i was determined to breastfeed so I pumped religiously every three hours on the dot. Although my baby was being fed formula, I kept on pumping because I really wanted to breastfeed. When I brought her home, she was so used to the bottle that she did not want to take the breast, she would constantly cought and choke, so I thought. I was then giving her expressed breastmilk thought the bottle for three weeks and decided to try again with the breast. I reasearched on the on why she would always choked and it was because of the overactive let down. But yesterday topped it all, she was not able to cough it out and she stayed blue and motionless for about a minute. Luckly I was in my inlaws house and my mother in law was able to rescue my child, but now I am mortified of giving my baby the breast, in fear that she would choke again, she will not take the bottle anymore.
    HOW can I control my forceful let down?! I have tried everything online, do you guys have any suggestions? Please help, I want to continue to breatfeed exclusively

Default Re: Baby choked with my Overactive let down!!!!

tatiana..don't be afraid...my baby also had to deal with OALD(overactiveletdown)..you can try changing positioning and block feeding. I would lean back almost laying down and I would put her in a football position almost upright.. the breast below her.
    There's a lot of info on block feeding on this website do a search on it. It's feeding from the same breast for a couple of feedings to slow down production of the other side. Something like that...sorry I can't explain it well.

kellymom.com try this link /....
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    hope this helps..good luck and don't give up on your baby you'll be surprised what she can handle.
    ELiz

you can try to either pump or hand express untill you get let down and then after the major flow of milk slows then put the baby to the breast.
    its a pain but after a while your milk is going to adjust to just what baby needs.
    IF your babies doctor not listen about the choking maybe get somebody else to look at baby. Something medical might be causing it that the doctor doens't know anything about.

Sometimes nursing while laying on your side helps too. DS is 4.5 months old and still chokes on my OALD sometimes. For us side laying nursing helped a bit as he could let the milk run out of his mouth during let down a bit easier. You can also unlatch the baby when Letdown starts and let the milk spray into a burp rag or cloth then have your LO relatch. to you, it'll get better mama. I second having another doctor check your LO just to make certain things are going alright. You can also call a lactation consultant or your local LLL leader for some more support/help.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Thank you guys! I started the block feeding yesterday. I hope that will help me. I also Nursed in public yesterday and it was a total disaster, but no one really noticed me in home depot.

you need to tell your pediatrician and ask for a swallow study. The turning blue is a sign of desaturation which was probably from aspiration. If your child has/had severe reflux she's at a higher risk of having problems with aspirating. She could be doing it when you don't know (my son aspirates 100% and never turns blue or anything, just looks normal). But it can really hurt the lungs and needs to be checked out. So I would encourage you to get that done just to be on the safe side.