Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pacifier use??

Default pacifier use??

My ds is 10 weeks. I have had a problem with oversupply causing him to be very fussy and he only occassionally falls asleep while nursing - usually nursing is pretty difficult for us (he gets gassy and frustrated by all the milk I think) and ends with a period of fussing. Lately he has been really into sucking - making the "I'm hungry" tongue motion - all of the time. However, when I put him on the breast, he pulls back off immediately, or sucks once or twice and then pulls off. Every time there is a new letdown, he gets upset all over again. These fussy periods usually happen in the evening, when he is more tired, I think.

A few days ago, my mother gave him a pacifier while she was watching him (he had finished drinking about 6 oz. of ebm from a bottle) and he loved it. He stopped fussing, stopped flailing his arms and legs, and just sucked contentedly for about an hour before falling asleep.

I've been hesitant to use a pacifier because it seems kinda like a scam . However, it seems to calm him down and make him so happy. Since he hardly ever gets to comfort nurse, is it okay to give him a pacifier? My worry is that sucking on the pacifier will be much more pleasant than nursing and he won't get enough to eat.

Any suggestions or thoughts?? Thank you so much!!

Default Re: pacifier use??

i hated pacis and swore i would not use one w/ ds. i didn't use one with my first so i figured i could do the same w/ this one.......nope! i have a sucker, he wants suck all the time. he switches between his hand, thumb, toys, blankets, and a paci. it hasn't messed up his bf at all. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Thanks for your reply! I've held off giving him one for so long, but then when I saw how happy he was the other day, just sucking away, it made me feel bad for letting him scream when that was apparently what he wanted!

We have a sucker as well. We gave him a paci when he was only a week old. It has never been a problem or interference with BF. Now he is almost 4 months and he only takes it at night and sucks it for maybe 10 minutes...he has moved on to sucking his fist...mmm mmm fist-tastic!

I've got mixed feelings about my LO's pacifier use. She's five weeks old. Like you, I hadn't planned to use one, but I too have OALD and my girl has a strong need to suck (a lot!). She also has reflux. She would suck and suck and suck on me and then end up getting sick (big time) if I let her suck as long as she wanted. Or, she would feed, pull off, then cry when I tried to put her back on, but act hungry with her lip motions and smacking... So, I gave her a pacifier (at only three weeks ), and it seems to satisfy some of her sucking need. She still cries often after a feeding, but the pacifier doesn't seem to have confused her as far as breastfeeding goes, but I still worry that I have "messed up" somehow... I'll keep watching this post to see other responses to our concern.

Good luck!!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

I was like you! I went several weeks without giving DS a pacifier because I was afraid that he would be "addicted" to it! then one day when I was visiting my family and my mother and I were shopping, the baby was pretty fussy so i was rushing out of the store when my mom pulled the hospital pacifier out of my diaper bag (it had been in there for weeks I forgot all about it) and popped it in and he was instantly calm! at 4.5 months he doesnt take one at all so I was worried over nothing, but for the month or so that he took it, it was a lifesaver! I never noticed any problems with him latching on or feeding so i calmed down about the whole idea. now he just sucks his thumb, fingers, toys...everything but the paci! just wanted to share my experience. Good Luck!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I also had the same problem with my dd. I was so afraid of giving her a pacifier because I did not want to mess up her sucking because that is all I read about. But like the original poster she kept pulling away in crying fits. I was at my wits end but eventually I broke down and gave her a pacifier and she stopped.........................

Sometimes they just need something to suck on! Now she has her thumb which I know is going to be a hard habit to break.

I wish my lo would take a paci. I have been trying for a while now and he refuses it. I think it is fine

I said I wouldn't use one, but I gave in when she was about a week old after trying it once. She went right to sleep.

She weaned her daddy and me off of the paci when she was about 4.5 months. She just wouldn't take it anymore. But we really only used it in the car and if she was having trouble settling down.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

If the pacifier helps, use it!

My son is nine weeks old and has been occasionally taking a pacifier since he was just a few days old. Like others said, I was terrified of nipple conufsion and didn't want to mess up breastfeeding, but I had a screaming baby and was desperate. Luckilly, my son will refuse the paci when it isn't what he really wants, so I am not worried that it will become a problem. He likes to suck, and more often than taking the paci he likes to suck on fingers...ours or his own. He hasn't quite figured out how to get a good latch on his thumb yet and everyone tells me I don't want a thumb sucker, but I can't wait for him to really start doing it. It would just be so much more convenient.

Your baby sounds able to ask for milk when it's needed. I wouldn't worry about not getting enough.