Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS & dealing with plugged ducts

Red face OS & dealing with plugged ducts

Hi,

This is my 4th baby & I have always had a problem with plugged ducts & mastitis. I refuse to quit. I love BF. I nurse until at least 2 years old. I have found that soy lecithin supplements with my 3rd child helped dramaticly with the mastitis & shortend the frequency & duration of my plugged ducts. So I am taking them again. But I produce so much more milk on my left side & I hardly ever feel empty. I started to manuel pump out 2 oz. when I felt too full but I don't want to increase my supply. This block feeding looks good to me but I am confused on what to do. I want to nurse more on my right side to increase that supply. So do I nurse more on that side & less on my left? Won't that leave my left breast more full? Do I nurse 2 times on my right. Then 2 times on my left? Please help! I'm so tired of sore boobs! My baby girl is almost 4 weeks old & is doing well. She also sleeps 5 hours at night. Which is good but bad on my breasts. Anyone want to share their thoughts with me?

Thanks so much.
    I'm so glad I found this forum....I need support.

Georgette-homeschooling
    Mommy to
    dd-9
    dd-6
    ds-3
    dd- born May 7th 2007!!

Default Re: OS & dealing with plugged ducts

are you trying to do too much?
    I took any breast pain as an excuse to take the baby to bed.
    I know its hard with older kids, when they are not pulling their weight yet.
    Let some things go. Fix extra simple meals and get a nap if you need it.
    heres a link with more tips.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

The idea of block feeding would be to leave your overfull left side overfull. This allows a hormone to build up in the left breast that signals to slow down milk production. My left side is always much fuller than my right side. I feed DD much more on the right side. I usually will feed her once on the left then 2-3 times on the right. ***However I do not have mastitis issues - so leaving the left breast full has worked for me*** There is more information on kellymom about how milk production works and oversupply.

I think that pumping 2 oz sounds like a lot of pumping! I know that I can easiy get 2oz somedays without any effort but the point of block feeding is to take turns leaving the breasts full so that they slow down milk production. Regularly pumping 2oz might confuse your body and perpetuate oversupply problems.

Unhappy Re: OS & dealing with plugged ducts

Thanks for your replies.
    I am at my wits end.....I will call a LLL leader to help me. My breast is sore AGAIN after trying to blockfeed. I have been using the hand pump b/c my daughter has not been efficient in getting my left breast empty. It only takes me 5 minutes to get 2 oz out. I try to only do it once or twice a day. This is getting so difficult to manage. I have been resting a lot anyway b/c I had a very rough delivery & needed forceps to get my daughter out. Lots of pain there!

So I have nothing else to do but call a leader for support. Why can't my breasts just stay clear?

I hope you are able to get some good help from your local LLL leader. It sounds like your dd might be having trouble getting milk from your left breast. How is her latch on that side? Is your nipple sore?

Sometimes, a birth injury can make breastfeeding on one side or the other uncomfortable for a baby. Many mothers find that an adjustment by a chiropractor who specializes in treating infants can help in situations where baby nurses well on one side but not the other.

HTH. Hang in there! Let us know how things go with your local leader.

Take Care,

Tiana

I haven't called my local leader yet. I am so bad at making phone calls.AGH! Soon. I will.

anyway, my dd nurses much better now than in the beginning weeks. My nipples are not sore anymore....thank God! my left breast is just so full of milk it takes either a real long time to empty or I have to pump some out before or after I nurse. I only pump at night or right in the morning though. My 3 year old ds loves to drink my ebm! he is too cute

so my main goal is to just stay free from plugged ducts.....never mind that my left breast is noticeably bigger than my right! AHH..........

Thanks again.........

Poor thing. I feel for ya! I EP and don't really have any advice, but I want to comiserate with you because I have major OS. After sleeping through the night, I woke up and pumped 17.5 ounces I've been trying to decrease my pumpings (down to 4 x a day) but I've also been dealing with plugged ducts so I purchased some of that soy lecithin. It seems to be working for the PD but the milk just keeps flowing. I wish I could just get a normal amount of milk instead of so much

I'm glad things are getting better for you and your baby. Good news! It is possible that, when your daughter was having a difficult time on one side, that she built up your supply to meet most of her need for milk on the otherside...thus accounting for the lopsidedness.

Many moms in this situation find "assymetrical block feeding" to be helpful. To try this technique, you could start by feeding your daughter on the less full side two times in a row, and then switch to the overfull side for one feeding, and then back to the less full side for two more, etc... This will help you "even out" your supply.

To avoid plugged ducts during this time, you can hand express, just until you are comfortable, when you start to feel full. Hand expression is preferable because pumping can make oversupply worse in many cases. Try massaging the full side in the areas where you are prone to plugged ducts while nursing your baby on the other side. You can use a cloth diaper or towel to catch the milk you express while massaging.

HTH,

Tiana

Thanks Tiana,

That is what I am trying. I have to be so diligent to watch out for PD. I can hand express in the shower pretty well. My ds wants me to pump. lol! poor little guy wants mamas milk!

Thanks for the support! It helps...

Quote Originally Posted by momto4 View Post
    My ds wants me to pump. lol! poor little guy wants mamas milk!
    That is sooo sweet...and your milk is excellent nutrition for him, too! If you still want to pump some for him, maybe you could pump on both sides similarly to the way that you are nursing dd. That way, it wouldn't contribute as much to the OS you're dealing with.

Too cute!

Tiana
    Last edited by LLLTiana; June 7th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.