Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pacifier use??

Default Re: pacifier use??

I would think its okay. The hospital had all the babies in the NICU on them (which I didnt care for) because they somehow cut SIDS risk..Dyl either takes his or he doesnt.Either way, when hungry he spits it out

They say it cuts SIDS risk because it reminds the baby to suck and breathe...I dunno.

My son will Occasionally take one, but prefers my booby.
    He will only take the MAM nanno too.

I knew it!Hes always there, but sometimes he is clearly not eating.......

I started letting our LO have one after she was about 4-6 weeks old. She was a big time comfort sucker for several weeks. Now she only wants it when she is getting tired, and she'll either pop it out herself after a few minutes of sleeping or I'll take it out.

I didn't want her to go for the thumb. I was a thumb sucker and I hid it for years. I think I was 7 before I quit!

At least with a pacifier, I can make her throw it away herself. The best thing I heard was to do it while travelling down the road and have them stick it out the window themselves. I know....littering and all.....but it sounds good to me. I can't get blamed for anything if she does it herself!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

I too swore I would NEVER use the things. I was upset that they gave me one in the hospital (how dumb). But he just wanted to suck on everything and he ended up with a few hickies on his little arm! I held off on the pacifier until I went into see the LC for a consultation. She gave me her blessing and he really only uses it when he is very fussy. It sure does save mine and his sanity at times!

My DD used a paci since she was 10 days old and didn't have a problem with latching. At around 8 weeks she had thrush and I guess the paci would hurt cause she just wouldn'T take it anymore. At 3 months she discovered her fists then her thumb and everybody kept telling me, the thumb is a hard habit to break, try to make her take the paci. I bought different types of them till she found the one she likes. Now, at 4 mo, she takes it but only after I offer her the breast several times. When she fusses too much and doesn't latch anymore, then I give her the paci and she seems happier. She is a fussy girl, mostly in the evenings and the paci really helps her calm down.

I think if you offer the breast as much as possible, then a pacifier won't hurt.

When I had my lo the hospital gave me a flyer that said NOT to give a paci before 4-6wk because of SIDS. All these mixed messages. I used one at the hospital and beyond anyway because my lo wanted to suck and I was sore and felt as though sucked dry. Another one of mine had the same problem with getting too full so the paci was a big help with her. Good luck!