Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused

Default Confused

My son is 12 days old. Over the past few days after feeding for several hours at a time, he still seems hungry. He cries and roots around but I feel like there is no more milk left in me. My husband gave him a bottle a few times and he ate even though he had fed for so long. What is happening here and what can I do when he is screaming and seems starving? In one video on line I saw that the milk like squirt out of the breast. I do not have that happening. It drips but is there enough? I even pumped tonight to see what amount would come out and I only got 1 ounce combined from both breasts. I am confused and getting depressed that maybe I am clueless and can't do this? Help!

Default Re: Confused

First off, take a deep breath. You are doing a great job. I remember those days. Your lo might be going through a growth spurt- where they nurse very often (yes even every hour at times). The purpose of this is to increase your supply. As you know, breastfeeding works on supply and demand. So the more your baby nurses, the more milk you will make.

As for the pumping thing, I was the same way, I would only pump like an ounce from both breast. Remember that a pump is not as good as your lo at getting the milk out, so your lo is prob getting more than you think. And to make you feel better, I have never squirted milk out of my nipples, I can't even get them to drip by hand, and I have fed my lo fine for the past 10 months.

Just keep putting your lo to the breast when he wants it. It will up your supply. Make sure you are getting enough water and food- I know it is hard at first to remember to take care of yourself.

Let your baby tell you if he is getting enough. IF he is gaining weight and having atleast 5-6 wet diapers a day then he is getting what he needs. I had to supplement for the first 8 weeks with my daughter because of low supply, she wasn't gaining well at all. But, I got her off the supplements. If you can, try not to supp to much because that cuts back on the amount of time baby is at breast and therefore can impact supply. That being said, I like you did not want a hugry baby, so just make sure if you do supplement, that you always nurse first.

Good luck and hang in there. I'll give you some good links. www.kellymom.com is an excellent source for nursing moms.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/04enough_milk.html This addresses exactly what you are talking about- look at 4 and 5 under NOT good ways of judging
    Last edited by @llli*preggoplus3; June 3rd, 2007 at 06:55 PM.

from what I have read and also my own experiences, this is very normal for the first few weeks in some people. Some of my friends seemed to have milk squirting out of everywhere but I struggled for quite a while but refused to get any formula into the house as I was determined to make the breastfeeding work. No one else in my whole family had managed it and in fact tried to discourage me, but with the help of the midwives and this site, I just kept persevering. My LO is gaining weight in leaps and bounds and I am able to express at least 4 ounces each hour if I needed to. By the 3rd to 4th week, things began to settle and by 6 weeks or so, I chilled out myself and actually began to enjoy breastfeeding. I also feel so accomplished now as I am so proud that I just kept at it as I must admit usually i just stop when things get dificult. Seriously to begin with if I got an ounce from both breasts, i would whoop for joy. The thing is just to keep her on the breast for as long as she needs it and then things begin to settle down. Now she feeds for 5 - 10mins and can go without for up to 4hours but I dont even bother trying to ration her anymore as it is a quick answer to crying so if she seems agitated, i go with the breast first and it makes life quite easy. except when u want to be asleep and she wants to suck, but as I say even at night maximum of 10minutes and I put her straight back down. Keep persevering but be careful about supplementing with formula so early as establishing your supply is very much a case of supply and demand.

thank you both. i know he is having enough output in his diapers so i can assume he is getting enough. i do need to just breathe and hang in. this site is helpful for that! boy, this is tougher than i thought!

It defintelyis a lot more difficult then you'd think it would be =) but hang in there - the best time to pump is in the morning - and if you are concerned about your supply - oatmeal is a good breakfast =) and drink lots and lots and lots of water!

That's funny because I never ate oatmeal, then in the last month of my pregnancy I couldn't get enough of it. I'll have to get some more of it! Thanks for the tip.