Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: confused - nibbling, "on-demand" vs every 3 hours

Default confused - nibbling, "on-demand" vs every 3 hours

I'm getting confused with all the different advice that I'm getting and reading on website etc! Please help!

My DS is 6 weeks (almost 7 weeks), he's gaining well , and getting lots of wet and poopy diapers . He is exclusively BF. Since birth I've been feeding(two sides) him every 3 hours (I had to wake him up). He is now 9 lbs, 9 oz (Born at 5 lbs, 10 oz). During the last two weeks a meal can take more than one hour(mainly cuz he nibbled, and i didn't know what that was). I went to a LC at the hospital, and this is what they told me:

Make sure he's drinking (yep, my DS does drink), if he starts to nibble, then do breast compressions, if he's still nibbling during the compressions, then he is full, then stop feeding. Or he is full when he unlatches. Then repeat for other side.
    My confusion: I followed this advice, and feed him two sides (and breasts are empty afterward) but DS still seems hungry (tongue sticking out- as per Kellymom website, a sign of hunger)). ( but I also heard that at 6 weeks, babies are exploring, and it does not mean he's hungry)... I tried to feed him, and breast compression, but he nibbles...
    Question: Is he still hungry when he nibbles (with breast compressioN)

Confusion about the frequency of feedings. Since DS is almost 7 weeks, and is gaining weight, how often should I feed? I heard that it should be "on-demand"... which is great! however, I also heard not to let him go longer than 3 hours (which may mena that I have to wake him up!)...
    In a 24 hour period, he has 7 meals (because I wake him up at the "3-hour" mark during the day, but let him sleep through the night).
    Question - Is it on-demand? or should I feed him every 3 hours? and if it's on demand, is there any restrictions on how long he can not eat (one advice i got was, don't let him go longer than 4 hours without eating)

Thanks!

Default Re: confused - nibbling, "on-demand" vs every 3 hours

don't be afraid to call your local leader shes around to help!
    With my new borns I always counted diapars.
    Lay out 6-8 and then if by the end of the day they haven't wet them all try and squeeze in an extra feed while your watching tv after supper.

Wow! You've heard and read a lot of conflicting information, and that can be confusing!

The wet and dirty diapers and the weight gain are an excellent sign that your baby is getting enough to eat. However, most newborn babies will eat 8-12 times per 24 hour period, so he might still be hungry if he's only going to the breast 7 times.

LLL says the best way to feed the baby is on demand. Since your baby has good weight gain and good diaper output, you don't need to worry about waking him to eat. He should let you know when he's ready.

Can you describe to me what you mean by "nibbling"? I've never heard that term used?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I've tried to feed DS some more, but we both get frustrated. He won't eat at my breast, he'll just put it in his mouth, or kinda just make one or two "movements" (i see his chin move, but no sound) every 3 mins or so - so it's hard to get the "8th" feeding in. Unless I start to wake him at night? He'll have his 10 pm meal, then he will wake at 4 am, and then at 7:30-8 am.

Each meal takes about 30 mins + diaper change + soothing afterwards.

From what I've been told, "drinking" is open mouth-pause-close mouth. He'll do this drinking at the beginning/during let down. "Nibbling", is when he doesn't do the openmouth-puase-close mouth. Nibbling is like when I see his chin moving. I think the LLC leader I spoke to three weeks ago called it "fluttering".

Do you suggest I try and get an 8th feeding in or do on-demand?
    When do you think he is full -- should I let him nibble? I just let him nibble now, and he fell asleep at my boob.

Every baby is different, and if you had a system that was working stick with that. Mine sometimes took up to an hour to feed and were on a ~3hr schedule at that age, skipping one feeding at night, to eat 7 times a day. I just tried to make sure they bf for at least 10min during the whole on and off thing that's the reason they took an hour. When they hit their 3 month growth spurt they turned into incredibly effecient nursers and now eat in under 10min. You're the mom, go with what your gut tells you your baby needs!

Well, it sounds like he's getting plenty with 7 feedings, so I wouldn't worry about it if you're having a hard time convincing him to take an 8th feeding

As far as nibbling/fluttering--Are you talking about that little "chin quiver" they do to stimulate a letdown? Or would you describe it more as comfort sucking?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

glad i don't have to do an 8th feeding

DS also does the chin quiver - What does the chin quiver mean? Before I went to see the LC, i would nurse him for a long time and would see the chin quiver but thought he was still finishing his meal, so I wouldn't un-latch him. I now think it's for comfort sucking. I was trying to put him down for the night, and he was "wagging his tongue" at me, so I put him on again, he did about three chin quiver and fell asleep

I think the nibbling that he does is between a chin quiver and a "drink". When my DS "drinks" his movements (open,pause close) is very strong. The nibbling will have movements, not as strong as a "drink" but definitely more noticable then a quiver.

They do the little quiver thing to stimulate another letdown. It seems to be a reflex--I've seen bottlefed babies do it to artificial nipples.

Yeah, it sounds like he's comfort sucking to me. It's completely fine to let him comfort-suck--breastfeeding isn't just for nutrition

As for him sticking out his tongue--my guess is that it's more of an exploration thing. At 7 weeks, he should be able to signal you pretty clearly that he's hungry. Most babies will root frantically if anything brushes their face, they'll open their mouth if you brush their lower lip, they'll act restless. You've seen how he acts when he DOESN'T feel like eating, certainly!

Sounds like you're both doing great! Just keep feeding him on demand!

Jen