Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where & how do you bf in Wal-Mart, Target, and etc?

Default Re: Where & how do you bf in Wal-Mart, Target, and etc?

I haven't read all the posts so maybe someone has said this, but I ask to use one of the changing rooms. I go to the restroom if I'm desperate and just sit on the tiolet. It has always aggrivated me to have to give my LO meals in the bathroom (I don't want to eat in there), but I'm not too coordinated and can't be discreet in public .....hope you find a dressing room!

A changing room is perfect or you could always use a bathroom stall. You have to be able to breastfeed standing up though, without a boppy. It works really well. I do it now and my baby is 10.5 months old. Or you could always do it in your car as well. I've done it in all three. Figure out what works best for you

I love fitting rooms if I'm out and about. Now that my LO is 8 months old and I don't have to nurse every two hours we can usually make it through a store or restaurant without having to nurse at all.

At a restaurant I find more privacy in a booth. But it can be harder if there isn't enough room to fit baby between your body and the edge of the table. Or if it's a nce day I'll go out to the car while my DH waits for the check

Also, I have a nursing "shawl" I got at babies 'r' us and I use that somtimes. It provides complete privacy and you know, I don't think most men even notice that I might be breastfeeding, heck I could probably come out of bedroom dressed in a clown outfit and my husband would simply say "ok, are you finally ready to go?" I love men but they just simply aren't that observant with "women's stuff" most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda's Mom View Post
    I also saw online that you can buy an inflatable nursing pillow - does anyone have them? Do they work?
    I bought the Brest Friend inflatable pillow to use on vacation when my LO was 2 months old. I just wasn't comfortable positioning her without one... It was really easy to use, and stable. But not as firm as the foam Brest Friend. I don't think I'd recommend it for everyday use in public, because blowing it up might be too time-consuming. But when you have to pack lightly, it works great!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Thanks for all the ideas, ladies! I've still got to practice nursing dd in a carrier, but I love the tip about nursing in the shoe aisle. Don't know why I didn't think of that... Last time I nursed at Target, I sat down on the floor of the bicycle section. Nobody was there until they sent an employee to "investigate" what I was doing. He spent a little too much time rearranging the bike horns.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Great suggestions by the PP's. Have you looked into nursing wear? Having some tops that allow you more coverage can make a world of difference. Also, know that when your LO gets older nursing out with the boppy/sling is easier because they can help support themselves more.

DS is 9.5 months and in the last two weeks I have just become fully comfortable with nursing without the boppy. Actually, I don't think I've used it for anything but my new laptop. I think the only reason it's comfy without it now is because DS is so big that he can sit in my lap/chair and nurse with me only cradling his head.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Before Ansel got strong enough to be able to nurse in the mei tai, I just stood up and nursed him in the cradle position while I shopped. *shrug*

Now I mostly nurse him in the mei tai, sometimes without. But I've never left where I was in a store to go nurse. And at a restaurant, I just nurse at the table while I eat.

I would use my ultimate wrap/moby wrap in the nursing/cradle hold. After month 3 he got heavier, so it's easier to nurse sitting down. I use my hooter hider or just have become better about nursing in public without flashing to much.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by elcorazon View Post
    I love fitting rooms if I'm out and about. Now that my LO is 8 months old and I don't have to nurse every two hours we can usually make it through a store or restaurant without having to nurse at all.

I also use fitting rooms or sometimes we have even used a b-room stall.We never mastered the whole Bfing in public because DD is a better nurser when we lay side by side. Now that she is older we too can go longer and get more accomplished when out and about.

well when we are going out shopping, I usually sit in the van & nurse him before we go in, especially if we will be a while, or if he doesn't want to, when we come out. But at a restaurant or anywhere else like that (bbq, park, beach, church, party... so on) I just use a cover or if I have the proper shirt on, simply nurse him right there, discretely
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC