Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where & how do you bf in Wal-Mart, Target, and etc?

Default Re: Where & how do you bf in Wal-Mart, Target, and etc?

I like to go sit in the furniture section of target and relax in a chair when I NIP.

I never mastered nursing in the sling gracefully nor am I particularly comfortable nursing out in the open....dressing rooms work wonderfully for me. In a pinch, I nurse in the car as well.

I agree you need a sling, I use my maya wrap all the time. I was a nervous wreck nursing in public the first few times. Still haven't been brave enough to nurse during mass where any little whimper echos, and I panic everyone is looking at me.

Honestly, I found nursing in public much easier when baby was smaller. He could huddle up in his sling and most of the time people didn't even know he was in there. I think people thought I just had on a really interesting outfit/shawl. Now that DS is bigger, he's not into anything over his head and he's very easily distracted so I tend to organize the day around when he usually nurses.

At restaurants I tended to get a booth first, but as a PP mentioned those are far too crowded. A table is best, though lest protected.

One of the first few times I nursed in public was at a casual restaurant. I was so nervous, but then I noticed there were 6 State Troopers at the table next to us. I did it discretely, and dared someone to come and tell me otherwise!

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I never figured out how to nurse in a sling or carrier. I aways just used a blanket or nothing( my boob didn't show) and walked around doing my shopping. That only worked for about 5months, then my lo got too big to hold and nurse like that. Just practice at home and see what works best for u.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I too struggle to nurse without the boppy. Recently I have begun balling up my diaper bag, which is soft and about the length of the baby, and putting that underneath her. It works pretty well. I also saw online that you can buy an inflatable nursing pillow - does anyone have them? Do they work?
    I have a coverup that looks like an apron, but is wider at the top so that I can see DD while nursing - it covers up any "offending" parts.
    I have nursed many times at restruants and the tables def. work better than a booth. I must admit that I have not mustered the courage to nurse at Target, Wal-Mart, etc...it freaks me out a little. I do love the idea of nursing in the patio displays - maybe DD and I will take a little trip today, and I'll try it out!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

For those who love the boppy, but cant cart it around, those neck pillows for traveling work really nice (I keep one in the car just in case I am going to need it)

I always use a sling. I've had people stop to admire my lo and talk and never even know she's nusing.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Hi, my suggestion is that morning hours are better, because there is fewer people at the stores. In Walmart or any other store with benches, you can park the shopping cart in front of you while you are sittingon the bench an nursing the baby. Wear a very loose shirt and cover with a receiving blanket.

In Target you can use the table and chairs in the food/restaurant area, put your diaper bag on the table in front of you, thiss will cover you.

The sling idea is very good but you need to start practicing, meanwhile, just relax and nurse anywhere, as long as you try to be discret people would not even notice.

Good luck

Roxana

I never figured out the sling, mine refused to nurse in the one I had because they couldn't see me and got hot (the Infantino sling). The boppy goes with us when we go out if I know I have to nurse, we've already got a gigantic double stroller and I just loop the boppy between the two seats. If I get caught out somewhere I sit down anywhere I can find and nurse there, I always wear a shirt with a tank top underneath so very little is exposed, and I love the recliners that are on display at most stores. If DH and I are both out in our van (he usually drives it) I nurse there so I can nurse them at the same time.

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by BettyNova View Post
    I love the changing room idea! I have a sling, but haven't tried it yet. I still have to figure out how to feed her without the Boppy!!!
    I was totally Boppy dependent for looong time. Sometimes I would just haul it with us and use it in the car, but I usually timed errands so I could be home again when it was time. But that's not always possible, and I just made do, like others have said with the diaper bag as a pillow or sitting crosslegged with my knees supporting him. It got easier as he got older to do without it. I even still use it sometimes though. And they are GREAT on airplanes for giving a place for him to sleep. A little awkward to carry, but oh well. Any way, good luck!

Here are a few threads about it that you might find helpful on the boppy issue!

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...oppy+dependent

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...oppy+dependent
    Last edited by Pazygozo; June 4th, 2007 at 05:04 PM.