Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old not yet feeding at the breast

Default 3 month old not yet feeding at the breast

I have a three month old boy and he is my first baby. So far we have not been succesful at breastfeeding as he cries when I put him to the breast. A few hours after he was born I was recovering from my c section and he was brought to my breast to feed but seemed to struggle and started crying. He was given the bottle shortly after which he took with no problem. He and has not breastfed since although he has managed to latch on about 5 times during which he fed for about one minute before he started crying. I had been expressing about 80/90 mls a day which he drank. In the past week I travelled and missed out a few days and I seem to be getting just drops.
    I still desire to breastfeed, even exclusively for at least 7months to one year. As he is three months I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what else I can do?

Default Re: 3 month old not yet feeding at the breast

Make sure you keep pumping so you don't lose your supply. Try feeding him on the breast first since that is when he is most hungry. Will he pacify on the breast? If so.. get him on as much as possible..it will stimulate your production. He may be crying at first because he is anxious for let down..be patient and switch him from side to side until you let down. I have that problem with my lo. There was another woman here the other day who was able to get her lo to nurse after problems and was successfull. I'll try to find her thread.....don't give up. You're a good mommy for all your efforts

Thank you so much for your reply. Actually at the moment he won't be pacified at the breast, in fact sometimes he screams so loud, it's quite distressing.
    Ps I also took fenugreek in the past to increase supply but didnt notice any significant difference, and I also tried using a lactaid - but he cried with that too. But I will keep trying though.....

I found that thread....Ulkieab wrote I am so happy right now... maybe you can send her mail and have a good chat...she was having trouble since her lo had bottle early;good luck! ...hope to see you doing well soon!

You may want to call a local LLL to grt help.

Hey, thanks again. unfortunately i couldn't read the thread you referred to, did you send it as an attachment.
    also, i dont live somewhere a local LLL can reach me - although i was in london a week ago and tried to contact a local leader then, but couldn't get someone to visit at home. email has been pretty succesful though so far in getting advice.

If you go to the "search forum (advanced search)" and put Ulkieab in the user name (she is the poster) (her thread was- I am just so happy right now) you should be able to pull up the posts by her. Hope this helps. I'm glad to hear you're getting some advice. Keep up the good work!

Hey! My lo also had a very difficult time nursing. Have you tried a nipple shield? After 5 weeks my daughter was able to latch on to a nipple shield, so at least she's learning where the milk comes from
    Have you tried lots of skin to skin? naked, diapered baby against your bare chest with no pressure to nurse - it lets them learn that the breast is a pleasant place. That was HUGE with my lo. Often they will even try to latch on their own with enough skin to skin.
    You may also want to offer her the breast when she's not really hungry - if my dd is hungry she gets frantic to eat and doesn't want to try anything new.
    Just some ideas! Hope you can find some help - a lactation consultand or LLL!