Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be Concerned? Right Breast Less Productive

Cool Should I be Concerned? Right Breast Less Productive

Is it normal to have low breastmilk supply in one breast? During pumping I have discovered my right breast produces much less milk than the other. For example, my left will produce 3oz and the right only a little over an ounce. Both are stimulated the same -- Any advice on how to increase breast supply on the other side?

Thanks for any help you may offer my way!

Default Re: Should I be Concerned? Right Breast Less Productive

My output is uneven as well. I've heard its normal. I would try starting feedings on that side more often, to signal it needs to make more milk.

Yup its normal.. Mine are that way too. I use to get 3 almost 4 oz from one, and only 1, or 1.5oz from the other... Then i started feeding off the other more and now its opposite LOL

Thanks for all the feedback! I appreciate it.

Thumbs up Re: Should I be Concerned? Right Breast Less Productive

I'm the same way. I can get 8+ ounces from one side but only about 2 ounces from the other

You are not alone

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Me too. Also, keep in mind that what happens at a pumping may not necessarily be what happens when you BF, as the suction is different.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

normal... my right has more than my left. soemone once told not to sleep on mu tummy b/c it would decrease my milk supply. Anyone know if that is true. I got so used to sleeping on my left side when I was PG and I wonder if that is why my supply is lower on that side?

Most mothers notice that they have one side that produces more than the other. It's normal!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

i'mtroubled by same problem. now feel better. thanks all

I too am having that problem with my right breast. My left one gets engorged and my right one is like my normal cup size. I almost thought there was something wrong with that side, but my doctor told me to just keep feeding her using both sides normally to "get the right side going." It has been a month and it still the same. I almost hate to shorten the feedings from the left one (it gets painful,) for a while, but I am going to try it for a week, starting today. I'll post my results daily.