Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enlarged tongue

Default Enlarged tongue

I want going to ask this, because I dont think it necessarily means anything...but does anyone elses preemies tongue really long and always out?My doctor mentioned it was abnormal, and seemed to be thinking something..which he didnt share with me.Anyone else know?

Default Re: Enlarged tongue

Hi, I think the best thing to do is call your doctor and ask why he was concerned... That's probably better than stewing over it, which is what I'd end up doing if I were you! I'm a special ed teacher--and I've heard that an enlarged tongue that sticks out is *sometimes* a feature associated with Down's syndrome. (See this WebMD link for more info.) But I think it's all too easy to self-diagnose and worry about things when your doctor should be more direct with you. I hope you can talk with him soon!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

I know Dylan, and I had a brother with that and I can honestly say, if thats what hes worried about Dyl is fine.Besides, I thought they tested for that at the hospital??

My DD can stick her tongue up her nose. (She's 7).

I think hospitals usually do test for Down's... So that's probably not it, but it was the only thing I could think of that might make a doctor concerned. Maybe your LO just has to grow into his tongue. I hope I didn't cause extra worries for you... But you should ask your doctor, just so you don't go crazy thinking about what he might have been thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by zoewmu View Post
    My DD can stick her tongue up her nose. (She's 7).
    Hee hee...

No, because I had thought a little after he was born about if I thought he had it....I have no idea why...and I dismissed it..He does have certain characteristics I guess...I just think that they would have caughtit the way he goes to the dr