Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help! Gas- (kind of long, sorry)

Default Please help! Gas- (kind of long, sorry)

I am very frustrated- please help if anyone can. My son is 12 days old and in the last 6 days or so has been displaying signs of having major gas trouble. When he tries to sleep on his back, he wiggles, squeals (bad squeals), makes "monster noises" and basically is restless and can't sleep. I give him credit, he doesn't cry, he's just trying to "work though it" or something for hours. I feel so badly for him as this is just hours and hours of not sleeping and doing this wiggle thing for him.

I try burping him while he nurses (between one breast and the other) and he just isn't a burper. My doctor said he's too young for mylicon... I've tried putting him on his stomach and rubbing his back, bicycling his legs, etc etc. What am I doing wrong? How can I help him? Sometimes he'll fall asleep with his chest on my chest, but I can't let him continue that because of SIDS and the fact that I need to sleep and can't watch him to make sure he's safe.

I've thought of 3 things it might be but have some questions:
    1) is lower intestine gas the same as upper gas? In other words, is it possible that his lack of burping etc is traveling down and creating lower bowel gas? If so, how do I get him to burp?

2) Is it possible that he is taking in air while he is nursing and that is giving him this gas? When he nurses, I usually hear a few air/milk bubble gurgles (like 3 or 4 times during each nursing session) where it seems air is traveling down to his belly. I don't know how, as he is latched, but perhaps through air in his nose? I've tried propping him up more so his head is above his body hoping that made him take in less air but a few of these air/milk bubbles still happen each nursing session.

3) Possibly Foods I'm eating? At this point, I'm really hungry because I'm afraid to eat anything. The things I have had each day are peaches, turkey and a bagel (I've eaten other things, too, but the last 3 days or so I have had these things each day).

As for gripe water etc- I live out in nowhere and don't know where I'd find that stuff. Does it help anyway?

I don't think I have an OALD problem as I have never leaked milk and he doesn't choke. Sometimes he takes himself off of the breast while wiggling, but it doesn't seem to be because of that.

Please help! I'm concerned for my little guy and probably wouldn't mind some sleep myself. Thank you- this forum is wonderful!

Wendy

Default Re: Please help! Gas- (kind of long, sorry)

is there a lll leader around you? She would be able to help beter than on-line.
    How are his poops?
    and wet diapars?
    weight gain?
    does he spit up alot?

poops & wet diapers are fine & he doesnt spit up. I do have a lll phone # maybe i could try. thanks for the idea!

no one else can offer any suggestions please?? I'm desperate....

One thing you can try is warming a large blanket in the dryer. Wrap him up, making sure to leave the bulk of the blanket around his tummy area. The heat, weight, and pressure will help him relax and help the gas to be passed easier. Nurses in the ER taught us this trick when my youngest daughter was an infant. Of course they have those lovely warming/steam bins they keep their blankets in. I hope he feels better soon.

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Hi there! I don't know about the "whys" of gas, but we've had some trouble with it at our house too. Mitch will grunt and grunt. We're getting better at the burping thing -- sometimes I sit him on my lap with one hand behind his back & holding his head and the other hand putting a little pressure on his tummy, and sometimes I lay him down across my lap with his tummy pressing on one leg and his head resting on the other. Dad has better success burping him the traditional way with baby against the shoulder. In all cases, we are sure to have a spit rag under him!

I haven't tried this one yet, but a lady friend of mine swore by laying a gassy baby tummy down on a hot water bottle and stroking or patting him.

We have had some success in getting the gas out by bicycling his little legs and then pressing them into his tummy and then bicycling again. My Mom did this to us when we were little and as toddlers we would still love it when she did it after diaper changes, saying "run, run, run, run, run!" and laughing!

You will probably hear all kinds of things about gripe water, (I guess it doesn't work at all for some babies) but it has been WONDERFUL for us. He will settle down immediately and soon after, there is either gas or a burp. We bought the gripe water at our local drug store. But if you can't find it, let me know and I can probably mail you some!

Best of luck!