Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch on problems

Default Latch on problems

My DD is 7 months old and EBF. She doesn't latch on with her mouth wide open. When she starts her mouth opens but the moment the nipple is in her mouth, she kind of slides down and takes only a small mouthful. I know this is not the right technique and maybe it is compromising her milk intake. Can this be corrected at this stage, any suggestions?

Shalini

mom to Rhea 09/05
    Alisha 02/03
    Aninditaa 02/97

Default Re: Latch on problems

Are your nipples sore? Is baby gaining weight adequately? If so, then it isn't concerning. Is this something new she's started? Often times as our nurslings get older, we kind of slack off in the positioning department. I'd suggest going "back to the basics" as far as positioning and latching go. My daughter is 2 and I still use the Rapid Arm Movement (RAM) technique with her, otherwise if left to her own devices, who knows what havoc she might wreak on my nipples, LOL!

But, not all babe's have "textbook" latches and if it's not hurting you and she's gaining adequately then it's okay

HTH!

Question Re: Latch on problems

She usually makes me sore when comfort nursing. Otherwise its fine. What is the Rapid Hand movement technique? I am not really familiar with it. Would love to try out anything which would help

Shalini