Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will giving my newborn a pacifier cause nipple confusion??

Default Will giving my newborn a pacifier cause nipple confusion??

Hi-

My little girl is 2 1/2 weeks old and is a very good nurser. She is gaining about an ounce a day and is back up her her birth weight. The past few days she has been wanting to "snack" really often - like every hour or so - and acts really fussy throughout the day. She doesn't take both sides at one sitting anymore- she will nurse for about 10 minutes and then wants to eat again an hour or two later. Sometimes I think she may just want to suck on something..... Will it cause nipple confusion if I let her have a pacifier every now and then? I gave her a "soothie" pacifier for a few minutes today and she went right to sleep! I'd love to hear your experience on this- my two other children never took a pacifier, so I'm not sure what to do here. Thanks SO much!

Lindsay

Default Re: Will giving my newborn a pacifier cause nipple confusion??

Hi Linds! Congrats on your little one. For now, it's probably best to hold off on artificial nipples until you've well established breastfeeding, which is usually about 5-6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. It sounds like your baby may be beginning her 3 week growth spurt. I remember well that I felt like a human pacifier at that time. All that sucking is a good thing, though, your baby is adjusting your supply to meet her needs (isn't it amazing how well nature works?). Keep nursing and this, too, shall pass. Growth spurts don't last forever and you can expect them at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months. My son will be a year next week, and I look back and miss all the nursing he used to do. Now, he almost seems too busy for it (though not at night!!haha). You are establishing a wonderful relationship with your child by teaching her that when she needs comfort, she can come to you. Keep up the good work!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I agree that you should try to hold off introducing the pacifier until your milk supply is more establish. It does sound like she's probably going through a growth spurt right now which is now she is nursing so frequently. Also, one of the things that I'm finding is that a lot of breastfed babies generally don't take too well to pacifiers. I've tried with both of my kids and they just don't like it.

I've given my son (now 2 months) a pacifier right from the star to help with reflux since he wouldn't stay on after nursing. I haven't had a problem but I'd rather he find his thumb. It just seems more natural to me and it's there when HE wants it, not for when I want to give it to him.

Well my reply is different from what you just read.
    My dd took a paci from the beginning and it never caused nipple confusion. I would always put her to breast first to see if she truly was hungry or just wanted to suck, but if it seemed she just wanted to suck, I would give her a paci. She loves her paci. All my kids were very 'oral' and loved to suck. The paci has been a sanity saver for me and a comfort to my dd. I, too, have read where it can cause nipple confusion, but that's just never been my experience. Keep in mind that your baby will go through growth spurts and will probably nurse every hour (cluster feeding). Don't let the paci replace your milk and also sometimes they just want to snuggle with you and comfort suck on your breast. We still do that a lot.
    My point... use the paci when needed, not to replace the above things.

Thank you SO much for your advice! I'm thinking she is having a growth spurt- because she weighed 6 lbs 10 oz. yesterday and today she weighs 6 lbs 13 oz!! Weighed on a baby scale - naked at the same time both days! I couldn't believe it!!

Anyway- thanks so much- it really helps ALOT to read your experiences!!

Lindsay

I have also given my daughter the pacifier right from the start. I do not think that it caused a confusion for her as she will spit the pacifier right out if she wants to feed - actually, she kind of gags on it if it is the breast that she wants.