Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: vitamins for baby

Default vitamins for baby

If breastmilk is the best milk, why does he have to take a vitamin supplement?

What is it that the milk is missing, and can I take that vitamin so he wont have to take this too?

(I still take a prenatal)

you know im on the neverending crusade to limit his daily pharmeceuticals

Default Re: vitamins for baby

From what I've gathered in various threads, some doctors want to put breastfed babies on a vitamin D suppliment IN CASE they aren't getting enough as breastmilk isn't fortified with vitamin D, which is what makes the calcium be absorbed by the body. We chose to not suppliment as we can get DS into the sun enough that we didn't feel it was needed. I read somewhere that all a baby needs is 15 minutes of sun time with just the head and hands exposed daily to get enough vitamin D. We put DS outside as much as possible if it's nice and he likes to look out the bay window as well so I figure he's getting at least some sunlight that way too. If you are worried that your LO needs vitamins (which it may be different for a preemie I'm no expert there) you can ask your doctor to do a test and see if he is deficient in anything before giving it to him.
    HTH

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

THEY say he needs vitamins because I am breastfeeding...

I'd find out which vitamins they want him on and ask for a reason why he needs each one personally. And if they insist I'd ask for a test showing which he is truely deficient in, but that's just me. I hate the thought of medicating my baby with anything on a daily basis if it's not necessary.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I'm not really sure why they need extra. I'm also still taking my prenatal vits. But I figured extra vitamins couldn't hurt. My Dr. recomended tri-vi-sol. It's A, D + C.

Its so weird to me that if all the formulas are trying to be like breastmilk, that they want you to take extra stuff to match the vitamins of formula