Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not enough nursing?

Default Not enough nursing?

My 6wk old DD seems very uninterested in nursing. She pushes away from the breast and gets very upset while trying to nurse. She's never been a "big eater" but has tons of wet and dirty diapers every day! She doesn't nurse for very long (maybe 10 minutes) on one side at a feeding, and then will go for at least 3-4 hours before the next 10 minute feeding on the other side.
    Is this a normal feeding pattern for a baby at 6 weeks?
    I was worried that maybe I have OALD with the way that she fusses at the breast.

Default Re: Not enough nursing?

Have you tried taking her off during let down to see if you have OALD? That could cause her to be fussy and you saidyou were worried about it. DS used to be fussy at the breast and I'm almost positive it was from my OALD.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: Not enough nursing?

She may be going through a growth spurt. My LO did something similar around 6 weeks. She was fussy at the breast and wouldn't eat for long. After a few days, she was back to her boob lovin' self. As long as her output is good, I think you're probably okay.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut