Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is letdown?

Default Re: What is letdown?

here is a helpful link for you about milk let downs.

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevesn View Post
    my letdown is "tingly" if that makes sense. I kind of think of it as the feeling when your foot goes to sleep but it only lasts for a few seconds. the feeling happens after the baby starts nursing for a minute or two.
    tingly..me to

sometimes can even feel it when eating

Quote Originally Posted by soon2bemomagain View Post
    Just to reassure you that you are doing nothing wrong, many women don't actually feel the letdown. I never did with my first and now I can feel it almost as soon as my son starts, so don't worry if you aren't feeling it. As long as his poopy diapers are yellow and seedy then he is getting that wonderful hindmilk that he so needs. Keep up the goodwork mama you're doing great!!!
    I'm glad to hear this. Being a first time mom, I'm worried about all sorts of stuff and a friend recently asked if I had experience "let-down" yet and I didn't know how to respond, because I don't feel anything, but my lo's poopy diapers are yellow and seedy and he has at least 2 a day, so I'm guessing things are going pretty good.

It is so interesting that there are a varied discriptions of letdown. When I letdown it's like a muscle is tightening in my breast. Like if you flex your arm muscle. It was uncomfortable in the first few weeks, but not now. It was good to hear that letdown released the hind milk because I always wondered if she was getting enough. With a few of my other kids I could feel muliple letdowns. Not so much with this one so I've been a bit nervous.

You should be proud of yourself for asking questions for the good of your little one especially because it felt a bit embarrassing. You're obviously a great mommy! I have 7 kids and feel like a new mommy every time I deliver, and I learn something with everyone of them!

By the way, there is a forum here if you get critisism. I haven't been there yet, but I'll take a peek sometime. It was hard with my first baby because I didn't have any support so I accidently weaned her by 5mos. I was afraid she wasn't getting enough milk because she ate so often (didn't know that was normal) and my MIL kept making comments about starving her ( my DH had just gotten out of the Navy and we were living with my IL at the time)so I started to give her suppliments thinking, since she would take them after nursing she must need them (WRONG). Anyway...I ended up giving her more and more ( not wanting her to starve you know ).........It still makes me sad to think about.

So what I'm trying to say is don't worry too much and remind yourself why you chose to bf in the first place. Especially if you hit a rough spot.

Sorry for being so long winded

Ya know...I NEVER felt letdown till about a week ago (been breastfeeding for more than 4 months now), and it sorta feels like a low volt of electricity running thru the front of my breast. Not painful, but sort of a slight buzz.
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

Quote Originally Posted by snwiles View Post
    I keep reading abou tpeople having to try for a letdown. i dont mean to sound dumb but what is a letdown?
    Well I for one am glad that you asked this question because I didnt know it was the signal that the hind milk was coming through. I too only feel it in the breast I am NOT feeding from. Sort of pins and needles in my nipple. Ive been BF for five weeks now but still check every time I feel that tingling feeling. love to see that good stuff squirtin out!!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Quick Question about this subject -

What if when you are pumping, the only milk that comes out is during the let- down? my milk doesn't flow and maybe a few drops come out after the let-down.
    Thanks!

When the baby first starts sucking they get the foremilk that's right there being stored in the breast, then when you experience "let-down" (also called the milk ejection reflex) milk starts to be pushed out of the milk ducts and that's when they start getting the important, calorie and fat-rich hindmilk.
    The let-down doesn't mark a change in the milk--it just means the milk is flowing faster. There is no clear shift in the milk--it just gets progressively fattier as it comes down.

The Milk Ejection Reflex or "let down" occurs in response to a hormone called oxytocin. This is released when your nipples (and other areas of the body)are stimulated, and it can also happen if you see your baby, hear your baby, etc. That oxytocin causes the milk ducts in the breast to push the milk through more forcefully.

When your baby latches on, he or she will always get some milk, but it will flow slowly at first. You'll notice a change in the way your baby suckles when let-down occurs, even if you can't feel it.

What if when you are pumping, the only milk that comes out is during the let- down? my milk doesn't flow and maybe a few drops come out after the let-down.
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but I think you're concerned that you only see a real flow of milk during a letdown when you pump? This is fine. Again, both foremilk and hindmilk are ejected through a let-down.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

[QUOTE=LLL LactoJen;212851]The let-down doesn't mark a change in the milk--it just means the milk is flowing faster. There is no clear shift in the milk--it just gets progressively fattier as it comes down.

Sorry if my post was not exactly correct. Here's what it says in "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" pg 374
    "As baby begins to suck, he receives the low-fat foremilk, but after the mother's let-down reflex is triggered, the fat content of the milk increases as the alveoli release fat globules into the milk ducts."

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807