Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is one breast 'finished'?

Default When is one breast 'finished'?

Hi-

How do you know when one side is 'emptied'? I definately feel 'floppy' but I can squeeze and still see milk. So how do you know if baby is getting hind milk?

Thanks
    Lauren

Default Re: When is one breast 'finished'?

milk from the breast will never be emptied. My basis is if milk expressed is creamy and white (like wholemilk). I see foremilk as the same consistency as skim milk. Also, i read that hind milk is released after a "let down".

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

It's hard to tell you exactly how to know when one breast is finished. I'd say that it'll definitely feel much less firm, and yes--almost floppy!

You'll never completely empty out a breast, so you'll always be able to squeeze and get milk. There's no such thing as being dry when you're lactating!

I would follow the baby's cues. When the baby lets go of the breast on it's own, it can be considered emptied, and you can then offer the other side. Or, if you have a "comfort sucker," you can switch sides when the baby stops taking long, drawn out sucks, and switches to short fluttery ones (much like the kind seen when using a pacifier).

You can be sure the baby is getting hindmilk by checking the consistency of the milk that comes out afterwards, like a PP said, foremilk is thin, more clear, and watery; and hindmilk is thick, more white, and creamy. Also, if you are concerned, you can watch for the color and consistency of the baby's poops. An exclusively BF baby should be pooping yellow & seedy. A sign off too little hindmilk in a younger baby can be very green, foamy, & runny poops. HTH!

After 4.5 months, I now have a better feeling when I can switch my little to the other side. My LO doesn't always pop off. So when I sense he's done with one side I squeeze my breast and if I see the more opaque looking milk I move him to the other side.

Since he's more aware of his surroundings, sometimes the popping off and on is something he's doing b/c of his age. So the opaque milk is a better judge. When I noticed it, I'll compress for a couple of minutes so I know he's getting hind milk then I switch him.

Hope this helps
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Thanks!
    Great advice from all-
    Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    Since he's more aware of his surroundings, sometimes the popping off and on is something he's doing b/c of his age.
    I forgot to clarify, I meant if the baby has nursed a little while & seems calm, drowsy, satisfied, or asleep, and they let go of the breast or stop actively sucking. If they are alert, distracted or letting go to look at something, then that is not a cue that your breast is empty. That's more an age thing, like NYWifey mentioned, because they begin to get very curious.