Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is letdown?

Default What is letdown?

I keep reading abou tpeople having to try for a letdown. i dont mean to sound dumb but what is a letdown? ive been nursing for 7 weeks now and wondering if were missing something. i did go to a breast feeding class before rhegan was born but they didnt really teach us anything the basically just went over the benefits of BF. i had a hard delvery and was homebound for 6 weeks so i ve only been to one LLL meeting and was to shy to ask questions so were basically self taught bf are letdowns important how do i know if i had one? is it something i should feel or see? Thanks for the info and please dont laugh to hard

Default Re: What is letdown?

Your let-down is when your milk starts to flow. Does that make sense? I am lost for words at the moment.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

doesnt your milk always flow when they are sucking? im sorry if i sound dumb im really trying to understand what im doing so im not just going through the ,otions and so im better prepared to answer questions/sarcasm from faimly

The letdown is the intial start of milk flow. If I'm pumping I notice the milk sray at first then it turns into drops. Also have about 8 -9 weeks I feel the let-down. If my eyes were closed or by LO was nursing I could tell when it was happening since it kind of feels like shooting line coming out of my nipple. It includes somewhat of burning sensation but it's not painful. Hard to describe.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

my letdown is "tingly" if that makes sense. I kind of think of it as the feeling when your foot goes to sleep but it only lasts for a few seconds. the feeling happens after the baby starts nursing for a minute or two.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

This isn't a silly question... there's so much to learn about breastfeeding. When the baby first starts sucking they get the foremilk that's right there being stored in the breast, then when you experience "let-down" (also called the milk ejection reflex) milk starts to be pushed out of the milk ducts and that's when they start getting the important, calorie and fat-rich hindmilk. For me I can feel "letdown" about 30-60 seconds into a nursing session. I feel a tingly feeling in the top part of the breast he's NOT using, and I can also hear his sucking get much more frequent. Some women experience multiple letdowns (or bursts of milk basically) during a feeding. Does that help?

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Just to reassure you that you are doing nothing wrong, many women don't actually feel the letdown. I never did with my first and now I can feel it almost as soon as my son starts, so don't worry if you aren't feeling it. As long as his poopy diapers are yellow and seedy then he is getting that wonderful hindmilk that he so needs. Keep up the goodwork mama you're doing great!!!

I've still never felt these mysterious "let-downs" myself. You're not alone if you haven't.

Thank you guys so much.

I've never felt let down either. I exclusively pump on a medela symphony. The machine starts out with quick sucking to stimulate let down and then you switch over longer sucking to simulate swallowing. I have to watch the breastshield to see when my flow has started because I sure don't feel the let down!