Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long do feedings every 2 hours last?

Default how long do feedings every 2 hours last?

About how long do newborns feed every 2 or so hours? My son is 2 weeks old & I'm trying to figure out when the feedings won't be so frequent--I'm wondering if I'll ever get 4 or more hours of sleep at a time!

Default Re: how long do feedings every 2 hours last?

During the day my DS who is 6 weeks - will eat pretty much every hour - I dont get to put him down much and he doesnt sleep much durng the day - but about at the month mark - I noticed he figured out night and day - he sleeps deeper at night and usually goes 2-3 hours without a feeding. Last night was a fluke and he only woke up once to eat. Of course he was a terror to nurse this morning

Do you cosleep? I learned that by cosleeping I could get MUCH more restful sleep.

It all comes down to the baby tho =) I have been told the first 6-8 weeks of breastfeeding are the hardest and then it gets a bit easier. Hang in there!

Thanks--I have him in the pack & play next to my bed. We cosleep with my 2 yo daughter, so my husband is in the bedroom with her & I'm in the baby's room on a twin bed so she can rest.

It took my lo 9 months, so good luck

It is such an individual thing for each baby! DS is 14 mos and still nurses every 2 hrs during the day and up until last month he was nursing every 2-3 hrs at night too. There is a big difference between newborn and older infant/toddler nursing, though. They become so much more efficient. The 1st 6-8 wks was intense for us (as it is with most, I think). We were nursing every 1-2 hrs around the clock and it was such a big production each time that that's pretty much ALL we did! It will get easier even if the frequency doesn't drop. Hang in there.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Forever! Just kidding. Seriously, though, when I was nursing (or even when I ff my twins), I fed every 2 hours during the day ALWAYS. At night, my bf son started going longer than 2-3 hours around 9 mos, but never broke of night nursing until I weaned him at 13 mos.

During the day, I would expect that all babies will want something every 2-3 hours at least.

Red face Re: how long do feedings every 2 hours last?

sorry, my lo is 15 weeks now and is still waking every 2 hours for a feed at night. she usually has one 3 hr period when I put her to bed first and after that it is every 2 hours. During the day she goes a bit longer sometimes not always, depends on what we are up to. If I distract her a bit by taking her out or if she dozes off then she may go up to 4 hours but not usually. But now she feeds in about 5 - 10mins, so at night, it is just a quick feed and back into her cot right next to me. as we are in the UK, this time of year it gets light by 5am so she thinks its wake up time so getting her back to deep sleep is more difficult so the vibrator on the travel cot is used to soothe her back to sleep. It works sometimes, other times it is into bed with mummy to be nursed on her side til she goes back to sleep.

Ultimately, each baby is different. A friend of mine whose LO is 4 weeks older than mine, he was sleeping through the night from about week 8 so it could happen a whole lot quicker for you. whichever way, co-sleeping will make it easier as your baby will get more efficient at feeding soon.

Wow I didn't realize I was so fortunate. At about 6 weeks my dd started sleeping through the night. She would give me a good 5 hrs stretch at night and then the next stretch would be about 3 hrs. During the day she eats every 2-3 hrs . She is now 10 weeks and is still doing about the same except her 5 hr stretch is now about 6-7 hr stretch. Since she sleeps longer at night her daytime feeding are longer. She did eat for about 10-15 minutes now she eats for 15-20 mins.

Beginning at 2 or 3 weeks I usually feed her the last feeding b/w 10 and 11 and would put her in her bassinet next to us. She would sleep until 2 or 3am before she was ready for another feeding. At 6 weeks some how the 2am feeding completely got eliminated and she would sleep until about 6:00am b/f waking to eat. I have found the key to this long stretch is to swaddle her in a kiddopotamus swaddle we bought from babies r us. It has velcro tabs that she cant undo. Everytime I tried to swaddle her myself no matter how tight or secure we would get it, she would find a way to get her arms or feet out and it would somehow wake her up. This swaddle blanket has been our saving grace, we don't leave home without it . Good luck!!

OK That all makes me want to quit now..this is really hard and I am only on day 12. Formula fed three other babies and this is my fourth. Formula feeding was a whole lot easier. Why do babies need to feed so much more with breast milk?

breastmilk is so much easier on a baby's digestive tract that they can metabolize it faster. So thats why they have to eat more often. and that is also why formula babies often end up gassy - it is harder for their immature digestive tracts to process =) Dont give up! My heart melts when my LO looks up into my eyes when he is eating - even when I get frustrated at being stuck tot e couch... I dont think I would change this =)