Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He gets mad at the spoon anymore!

Default He gets mad at the spoon anymore!

My son is 8 months old and I haven't been very diligent at introducing solids. The past 2 days he's been having oatmeal for lunch and has been having a bowl of oatmeal with us a dinner time every night for...about a month. I tried giving him mashed up foods like avacado, apples, and squash, but he really hasn't been to interested in them so I haven't pushed it.

Well, his new deal the past 3 days at dinnertime is he gets soooo mad when I'm feeding him. He wants to do it himself. He grabs that spoon and yanks it out of my hand! Well, of course oatmeal thinned with breastmilk is not exactly infant-friendly self-feeding fare!

So I'm thinking it might just be time to give him some finger foods. But...my older son is 7-1/2 so it's been quite some time since I've had to worry about babies and finger foods! lol!

What do you recommend as good finger foods? Steamed cubed carrots? Try the avacado again? My scope is pretty limited, I'm thinking things that can be cubed and cooked soft...can you broaden my horizons? What other things would work well for him?

Default Re: He gets mad at the spoon anymore!

Cubed avocado and banana would make excellent finger foods. Cooked, cubed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, sweet potato). Soft fruits like peaches, steamed apples/pears. You could even cook up some oatmeal (make it thick) and refrigerate until cold, then cut into bite sized pieces.

When you do spoon feed him, just keep an extra spoon or two on hand and give him one of his own if he grabs for it. Some moms find that keeps little hands occupied while they spoon feed!

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thank you so much! The oatmeal idea is a wonderful one! I currently make up a few days worth and then warm it as needed, so it's already in the fridge! Guess my little one might be having his first self-fed meal today. He's lucky today is going-to-market day...he may just get a special suprise! lol!

Thank you!

Glad to help! sounds like you're doing a great job, Mommy!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Cheerios are also a good finger food, and they help to develop the "pincer grasp" They melt really quickly on contact with saliva, so they're pretty safe... just watch him like you would with any other solid food.

Hey there Melissa!

I had the same problem with Gabe. He loves to eat, but didn't want me spoonfeeding him anymore. I did alot of the things the pp suggested, but discovered that he loves grilled cheese sandwiches! He must've been about 9 months old when he snagged mine and chewed off a bite. So now I just cut one up into little bite size pieces and he goes to town. In fact, I have to limit how much I put in front of him or he'll put them all in his mouth at once. Oh, and you could try spoonfeeding yogurt... that's the only thing Gabe will allow me to spoonfeed now. My frustration is that he won't eat veggies at all. He mostly wants carbs, cheese and fruit. Ah well, all I can do is keep offering and someday he'll try them! lol

Chris