Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SO at Odds!!

Default SO at Odds!!

I'm Kind of at odds ends with this, first of all I don't care If I wean atm, but I do. I know you all are understanding peeps and that is why I rely on this forum. My DS is going on 14 mos and he nurses like a newborn when he can, but if is with out me he can fall asleep on his own. I know this from my hubby that took care of him when I was gone longer then I thought I could of or would have been for newly 13 year old. I still night nurse him and it's kinda getting on my nerves, I know he can fall asleep with out me to start . but how can I get him to STAY asleep?? Kinda feels like a dumb question from a mom of 4 and I know it can come soon or later, but it seems he wakes up so often, I'm not sure if this is just a rant atm cause I didn't want to nurse him all night tonight, somenights I'm fine with it. I guess what I'm asking is how to night wean with out losing it all,KWIM? I never had to worry about this with my other ones but he IS my last and is so much harder atm... Sorry so long just wanna cry....

Default Re: SO at Odds!!

I recently night-weaned DS (14 mos). He was nursing every 2 hrs at night and I had been doing that since his birth. For us, it was abrupt. The gradual process of setting certain times for "no nursing" didn't work.....He can't tell time so he didn't get why I would nurse him sometimes but not others.... Anyway, It has worked for us. I still responded when he got up but he quickly learned that he wasn't getting fed and within 2 nights he was sleeping 8 hrs. Currently, (knock on wood) DS sleeps ~8 pm - 4 am, straight. I feel SO much better now that I'm getting more sleep. DS is getting a better mom during the day b/c of it.

This is what has worked for us. HTH

I know how you are feeling.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

so you jennifer how you do it? got up but didn't nurse?

The 1st night was hard. He was confused, understandably. He woke up OFTEN and I hugged him and talked to him. I tried not to get him out of his crib. This would not have worked for us if we were still co-sleeping. If he got really upset, I would pick him up. It took will power not to nurse him back down that 1st night. The second night he woke up half the amount of times and was easy to get back down with rubbing his back, ect. I would tell him that it was night time and mommy wasn't going to nurse him when he woke anymore. That he needed to lay down and go to sleep. 3rd night - he slept 8 hrs and has (with a couple exceptions) ever since. Granted, it's only been a couple of weeks now. After that 3rd night I also instituted a 120 second rule. When/if he wakes I give him 2 minutes to settle him self. If he doesn't, I go in. I have only had to help him back down ONCE! He gets up a couple times a night and cries for like 15-20 seconds and then back down he goes. I actually think that he must be crying in his sleep and I had been too quick to respond in the past. I am so against CIO that I think I had been overly-eager to not allow ANY crying. I have loosened up a bit and will allow 120 seconds It has worked for us.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Hmm, we still co sleep at this point, but I do try to put him in his crib in our room to start off, I'm so torn as you well can tell. yes it has been eaiser to just grab him and put him in our bed, and gets frustrating when as soon as he wakes up DH will give him to me when he's up late on computer in our room, lol lots goes on in our room! I kinda ask my DH last night how I was going to wean him and all he had to say was I dunno! I think cause I'm a easy pawn off! Grrr still at odds with my self atm!