Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a weekend away - so tempting

Default a weekend away - so tempting

My MIL and FIL have just offered to come down to visit us in August and watch our kids for the weekend (we have 3) so that dh and I can have a weekend away. My lo will be 23 months at that point. I'm so torn. I really don't want to wean him (that's why I'm posting here and not the weaning board) but with 3 little kids things are crazy at home and it would be nice to not take the toddler along with us on our romantic weekend getaway. A few years ago (when I was pregnant with #3 and not nursing anyone) dh and I did get away and stayed at a bed and breakfast and hiked a lot - it was really nice, but obviously we couldn't do that with a nearly 2 year old. My dh isn't pressing me to wean but he thinks I've nursed our lo for a long time. Compounding this is that I just got my first AF and we hope to conceive soon so I may end up weaning him in the fall anyway. My lo nurses a lot so if I"m going to have him weaned by August I would need to start now.

Any help or encouragement would be appreciated.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Default Re: a weekend away - so tempting

I would totally go!! As hectic as life gets, it is hard to keep that relationship going with our husbands!! My dh and I try to get away whenever we can, and really, it is not as often as we both would like (or need). If you are like us though, your kids will be topic of your conversations over dinner.

But really, if you are going to ttc later this year, you should go now, especially if your in-laws are willing to babysit!!

I say go too. Your lo will actually not wean in that time. My friend still nurses her two y/o and goes away every now and then for a few days and her dd goes right back to it when she gets home. Does you lo sleep through the night? That would be the tough part. If you are still night nursing, you might consider weaning him from the nights. That will make the trip better.

I don't think that you need to make a choice between weaning and going on the trip. I know many moms that have gone away for a few days and picked right back up nursing when they returned. Older kids, I think, are much less likely to wean while mom is away. I think the bigger concern would be to consider how you LO will handle you being away for a couple days, regardless of nursing. If you think she will be ok with it, then go for it. My DS recently turned 3, and later this month I am taking my first ever overnight trip away from him (it will be a weekend). I'm nervous, but excited to go. He is still nursing 2x per day (morning and night), but his grandma (who will be watching him) has put him to bed once before. He also loves spending time with her, so I think he'll be all right. I fully expect him to want to nurse again when I get back, though. I agree with the PP that it might be more difficult if your LO is still nursing through the night. It is a very hard decision to make.

We'd have to cut back a fair amount. He nurses through the night and a lot through out the day. But it is a good point that I wouldn't have to get him to zero nursings more like getting him weaned through the night and down to 2 or 3 in the day - not as easy as it sounds.

If it wasn't for the nursing I wouldn't think twice about leaving him - my mil is very capable and they keep the kids so busy, plus he'll be at his own house with his brother and sister.

I'm still stuck as to what I should do. It's hard to give up such an important part of my relationship with my lo for one weekend.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

my hub & i went a way for a weekend before my daughter was weaned & she did fine. when I wasn't around my little girl drank cows milk with out any protest, plus grandma kept her soooo busy, she slept thru the night with out me too!! I did bring a hand pump so i didn't get engorged though... go away, don't feel guilty!!! we all need a little alone time!!!! have a great time!!!

If my parents or the in laws offer to take the kids off our our hands for a weekend we'd totally go for it! Go for it!

I wouldn't wean either. I'm having these same issues with my 21 month old. I'd love to go away in October she'll be 26 months then and HOPEFULLY still nursing. She's a distracted nurser though, if there is ANYTHING else giong on in a day she won't want to nurse. We've gone days that she doesnt nurse except first thing in the morning (if that) and not again unitl that night. Good luck. I wouldn't worry about weaning him though unless you just want to.