Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: talking while eating

Default talking while eating

Ok, so this is Jeremy's latest nursing caper. He takes my nipple in his mouth and just before latching on, pauses and says looking at me with a smile, "mmmmmm" (as in, yum yum). Then sometimes he'll say it again when my milk starts to let down. The first couple times he did this it was heartwarming - this kid sure knows the way to his mama's heart. (FYI, he also says "mmmmmm" while eating yogurt, oatmeal, sweet potato, and cookies, his favorite foods these days -- although lately he has been mischievously using it when he puts forbidden items in his mouth, like sunscreen, acorn caps, and pebbles. )

But now he has extended it to engaging in whole conversations with my nipple still dangling in his mouth! "mmmmmm" he'll say, and then "mama" or "ack" (outside) or "dad" or "pop-pop" or "ning" (for swing) or "wa-wa" (for water). It's really scary, since he's in biting position and he has a whole mouth full of teeth! I try to tell him to keep nursing and not to talk with his mouth full, but this just amuses him further.

Last night he did actually bite me for the first time in many months -- he was night nursing and congested and having trouble latching on (a big problem recently, allergies maybe) and he got frustrated and started crying and bit down hard. That really hurt! My nipple was still sore when I finally calmed him down, put some saline gel in his nose and got him to latch on while I was in a sitting position. Perhaps to make it up to me, he sweetly said, "mmmmmm."

Anyone had similar experiences? Any suggestions on what to do about it?
    Last edited by annie; June 1st, 2007 at 08:14 PM.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Default Re: talking while eating

My daugher talks with boobie mouth, has for some time. She is older now 31 months, with a very advanced vocabulary, and likes to talk all about her day while nursing, I have to tell her to either drink her boobie or talk to me. Sometimes she'll say "Ok I'm done", and finish her story.

Maybe teach him how to humm a song if he insists on making noise while breastfeeding, at least that way he is not in biting position, or just remove the breast while he is talking and let him know that he can have more momma milk when he is all done with his story.

my dd is 18 mos old and likes to talk in her 18 month old language to me while nursing. It's cute but when she really gets to chattering she does bite sometimes. Her newest trick is to give me "zerberts" or raspberries when she's done nursing. she thinks that's hillarious. She laughs and does it again. Then when she's completely done nursing she has to push her "off button" which is my belly button.

I think it's cute to some extent but if it's hurting you you have to let him know that, kwim? Tell him.
    Off on a tangent: Recently I asked my DD if she liked breastmilk better than ice cream, chocolate, and m&m's (in turn) and she said YES to all. I was trying to buy some time before our evening nurse and offered her some ice cream (I know, I know, that's terrible) but she didn't want it. So I asked her if she liked breastmilk better than ice cream. She said, "Yes, I do!" And so on...If you would have told me a year ago that I'd have a nursling who could say, "Mommy, I want breastmilk" I would have thought you were nuts!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Haha, Molly that's really adorable. At this point I can't be sure that Jeremy likes breast milk better than sunscreen or acorn caps, let alone ice cream. He's actually not hurting me now -- he never does when he's alert and calm, only when he's crying and frustrated and half asleep. Recently the chattering has been increasing -- he'll actually pop off repeatedly DURING letdown to tell me about something in his day that occurred to him and then it's not biting I'm worried about, but milk spraying all over the nursing pillow. But it's exciting because he's so thrilled to be discovering that he can communicate in words!

Recently, though, since the biting incident, I have noticed that occasionally he'll look at me and just scrape his teeth ever so gently across my nipple. Then he carefully checks for my reaction. It barely hurts even, but I can feel it so I respond by saying "Ouch, that hurts Mama, no biting please." Once or twice his face crinkled up for a minute as if to cry, but mostly then he just goes back to nursing without incident. That's where I've been developing the theory I just wrote about in another thread, that the nursing relationship is one of the first lessons in compassion and self-restraint. I mean, he bites things all day long, including his beloved stuffed monkey -- why shouldn't he bite mama as well? It's really remarkable how they they learn that biting mama has consequences, and not just an angry mama, but also a mama who feels things just like them. It's one step on the way to learning to be a caring and respectful human being. It's all in that transition from biting to kissing. Jeremy's actually not a big kisser yet (although he likes being kissed), but I can definitely see his mind clicking as he watches and considers my reaction.

Hbsmomma, humming is an interesting ideas but I imagine that would be pretty ticklish on the nipples, no? When he talks they already get all tingly...and 1b2g3kids, he has tried a raspberry a couple of times -- also a kind of a buzz, isn't it?
    Annie

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    But it's exciting because he's so thrilled to be discovering that he can communicate in words!

That's where I've been developing the theory I just wrote about in another thread, that the nursing relationship is one of the first lessons in compassion and self-restraint. I mean, he bites things all day long, including his beloved stuffed monkey -- why shouldn't he bite mama as well? It's really remarkable how they they learn that biting mama has consequences, and not just an angry mama, but also a mama who feels things just like them. It's one step on the way to learning to be a caring and respectful human being.
    I know what you mean about being excited to have our LOs be able to communicate in words. One of my favorite things is asking DD what she did during the day and having her tell me about it! I can't get over how much her language skills improve every day!
    I also think there is a lot to your theory about compassion and self-restraint. It makes a lot of sense.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I can't wait until Jeremy can talk to me in sentences!!! Right now it's just a succession of single words, often repeated over and over, occasionally adding up to something resembling a story -- e.g., "ning" (swing)...."dad"...."shhhh" (push). I'm not quite sure what his word for nursing is -- it might be "nana" -- although that word also refers to banana and his grandmother. But when I ask him if he's hungry, he almost always responds "nana" and then sometimes goes in search of the nursing pillow.

Congrats Molly on potty training! Very impressive.
    Annie