Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jaundice Baby - help pls!

Default Re: Jaundice Baby - help pls!

you would know if you were engorged. really heavy, full, and sometimes hot feeling, at least it was for me. I don't know anything about undersupply, I'm sorry.

How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

This is from the LLL site "How Can I Increase My Milk Supply":

"Here are some ideas that may help you to increase your milk supply. Look them over and consider which might work for you.

• Encourage your baby to breastfeed frequently and for as long as he will.

• Offer both breasts at each feeding. Allow baby to stay at the first breast as long as he is actively sucking and swallowing. Offer the second breast when baby slows down or stops. "Finish the first breast first," is a good general rule. (This technique gives baby lots of the fatty "hindmilk.")

• Baby should end the feeding. He may do this by falling asleep and detaching from the breast after about 10 to 30 minutes of active sucking and swallowing.

• Be sure baby is latched on and positioned correctly at the breast, that is, lips should be on the areola (the darker skin area), well behind the nipple. An LLL Leader can help fine-tune positioning as well as suggest ideas to ease soreness. Breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt.

• A sleepy baby may benefit from "switch nursing" that is, switching breasts two or three times during each feeding. Switch breasts when baby's sucking slows down and he swallows less often.

• All of baby's sucking should be at the breast. Limit or stop pacifier use while encouraging baby to nurse more effectively. If you are supplementing, even temporarily, you can give the supplement by spoon, cup, or with a nursing supplementer. Contact an LLL Leader for assistance in using these
    ." HTH! Hang in there mama!

Jacob is doing well! His weight gain has reached his actual birth weight. I saw a LC this morning and we are working on making me produce more milk to take away supplemental feeding (i'm producing about 1.5 oz of milk).

Thanks for all the support!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

way to go..... baby is much beter at getting out milk then the pump!
    is he nursing any at the breast?

Cecilia it sounds like your on the right track, way to go mama!!!

he nurses for about 15 minutes, or until he's not actively swallowing anymore.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007