Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaundice Baby - help pls!

Default Re: Jaundice Baby - help pls!

NAK
    I also wanted to add that it does take time for the yellowing of the skin to clear up, Mason was yellowish for almost a month or so. Hang in there ladies

Thank you for all your suggestions and encouragement. We went again this morning to see the doctor and he gained weight! Waking up and feeding him every 2 hrs paid its price! I did make him stay on breast for at least 10 minutes (on each breast) so that he doesn't forget how to "use" it, then give him formula afterwards. It's funny how he reacted the first time I put the bottle nipple in his mouth, he looked confused! So far everything is going ok. The doctor advised to supplement until my milk flow is stable. I don't know if my milk has come in yet (when I pumpled yester it was just about 2 tbsps of yellow milk) but i do feel my breast is sore now (i hope its milk!). I'm wondering if i should take herbal medicine (like funugreek) this early to increase my milk supply?

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

My name is Asland and both of my two girls were jaundice. The first was put under the billie lights, her jaundice cleared up fast. We went home within 24 hrs. However the night nurse introduced a new problem. She did not wake me and gave my baby a bottle. I fought for about 2-3 weeks to get her nursing. With my mother and Le Leche League's help and support I successfully nursed her for a year.

My second was born last July. The doctor ordered blood work daily for four days until the count started to go down. Unfortunately, she had a slow weight gain due to the jaundice. She would fall asleep while nursing after only a few minutes, I had to continually wake her to get her to nurse the full 10-15 minutes. The doctor had asked me to supplement with formula or breastmilk. I chose breastmilk and gave it to her with a small cup. The technique is called cupping, I believe. It helped to prevent the nipple confussion that had happened with my first child.

I know it is hard, but hang in there. It will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
    they didn't do any test when the doctor saw him today. they noticed though the color of the eyes up to the chest is yellow. they want to see him again tomorrow. i did try to express milk but only a few drops came out. and it was yellow (could it be colostrum still?). i decided to give formula after i breastfeed. thank you so much.
    This is what we did. We had a little nipple confusion, but were able to get through it. Try not to worry too much, lots of babies get jaundice.

I know I'm getting to this late, but there are supplemental nursing systems that allow the baby to BF while being supplemented. I wish more peds would recommend this It would have saved us some trouble!

Congrats on your new baby!
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Quote Originally Posted by Asland View Post
    However the night nurse introduced a new problem. She did not wake me and gave my baby a bottle. I fought for about 2-3 weeks to get her nursing.
    This happened to us too.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

I am a little confused. I don't understand why a doc will recommend to supplement. Why can't a momma nurse if a baby is jaundiced? I nursed DD1 when she was jaundiced and in the hospital. All they had me do was take her out from under the lights. She was in there about two days.
    The nurse did tell me that I could use the hospital pump since I was having trouble getting her to nurse (which was probably part of the problem in the first place) and it would help with supply, or whatever, but when I said okay, the same nurse told me that I really shouldn't use the pump, but should try to BF. I was so confused . Then she told me about a nipple shield and that worked wonders.

The doctor recommended that we supplement because he has lost weight (almost a pound from his birth weight). He also has become more sleepy, altho still alert. I tried to pump again after breastfeeding and supplementing just to help increase my milk supply but all i got was .5 to less than an ounce. I don't know if that's normal or still ok (he's 5 days old anyway) after having just breastfed him (I feed him every 2 hrs).

do i need to start taking herbal meds (fenugreek) to help with my milk supply? I still pump out yellow milk and i don't feel engorged. I had milk supply issues with my first born so i really don't know the feeling of engorgement.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

if his eyes are yellow make sure to keep a watchful eye on him. my dd was on the bili blanket for 3 days --- they put her on the blanket before her eyes got to that point. i can't believe the dr. didn't do a test! my dh would freak out (he's a medical techniologist).

remember that jaundace can make baby very sleepy and therefore reluctant to eat. also if bili levels get too high there can be long term consequences.

the reason for a supplement is to speed up the clearing of waste from babies blood --- esp. if your milk isn't in. we supplemented a couple of times with the breastflow bottle and didn't have too much confusion problems. the cup feeding is probably better.

good luck!!
    -Angela

My baby was jaundice when we left the hospital and they told us to put him in the window like a potted plant. However, at 4 weeks he still had it. His father and I did not recognize how yellow he was b/c we were used to his coloring, but everyone else kept asking if he was haundice. So we took him in and were then sent to the ER for tests and evaluations. The doctors and nurses all instructed us to feed him formula only. (there is bfeeding jaundice and an incompatability jaundice) We took him back to the hematologist a week later and his billirubin levels went down, but not far enough. We go back next week for the follow up.
    Most jaundice is gone by 2-3 weeks. Keep an eye on your LO and ask strangers if your baby looks yellow.

My son was also Jaundice very bad. He was fine in the hospital, we came home after 2 days of nature birth. I really don't know what jaundice was and didn't know what to look for. So the doctor wanted to see him within 6 days. When he brought Russell home from the hospital everything was fine i thought. Being a new mom you dont know what to expect. Everyone tells you that all newborns do it sleep,eat,and go to the bathroom. That was a schedule for the first 2 days. After that everything went down hill. We wouldn't eat that offended and wasn't having that many full dipers, but he was pooping alot so i thought he was fine. The weekend came around and he was sleeping all day and not getting up to eat at all, we had to wake him up and beleive me he didnt wanna be up. I figure we would go to the doctors on Monday and everything would be fine but i was wrong. When we took him to the doctor he told us he had lost almost 12% of his body fat and he was very dehydrated, and his billy was 25 and climbin. My family was so mad at us they we didnt take him to the hospital before then. But we didn;t know. We live 1200 miles from any family so we just did what we new 2 do. Anyways he was in the hospital for 4 days under the lights.. He's stayed yellow all the way up until about 2 weeks ago.. He's 8 wks today.. Everything will get better beleive me they couldn't have got any worse. Good luck with everything if u have any questions pm me..

ps. one thing the doctors were really worried about was his hearing and brain funtion b/c his billy being so high. everything ended up all good. we have a very health 15 pounds baby boy know...

god bless

lindsey & russell