Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaundice Baby - help pls!

Default Jaundice Baby - help pls!

I just saw the doctor today and my son, Jacob, 3 days old, still has juandice. he lost almost a pound from his birth weight. The doctor recommended to supplement with bottle feeding, either expressed or formula. At this point i don't have issues with giving him formula milk but my concern is how to give it. should i give it in a bottle? will there a nipple confusion if i do give it in the bottle? what other ways can I give the milk supplement? I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: Jaundice Baby - help pls!

My son was under bili lights after he was born due to jaundice. Most babies are a little "jaundice" around the 3rd day of life, just keep in mind that other ways to help decrease the bilirubin is through feeding, and indirect sunlight. Did they do a serum or transcuetaneous bili test? I supplemented with formula because at the time I was not able to express anything but a couple of drops. What ever method you use it is a good idea to breastfeed first and then supplement so that baby stimulates you (their suck is the strongest during the first moments of feeding) and it is important for your supply to become established. You could also use a lactation aid.

this is from the LLL site:

"Jaundice- It is important to remind the mother that jaundice is usually a normal consequence of birth and that, in most cases, it is unnecessary to supplement the baby's frequent feedings from the breast. If she has been told to supplement by her physician, encourage her to supplement her baby with additional breast milk she has expressed or a non-human commercial substitute. Neither plain water nor glucose water is an appropriate supplement when the goal is to increase the baby's stooling, which will in turn decrease his level of serum bilirubin (Martinez et al 1993; Gartner 1994; Catz et al 1995)."

So the more he nurses, the more he will stool, the less jaundice.

Here some more helpful information from kellymom.
    HTH
    Last edited by surfinrn&mom2mason; June 1st, 2007 at 04:23 PM.

thank you so much! i really need the encouragement and support. i am up to the point where i wanted to give up breastfeeding just to make him better.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

they didn't do any test when the doctor saw him today. they noticed though the color of the eyes up to the chest is yellow. they want to see him again tomorrow. i did try to express milk but only a few drops came out. and it was yellow (could it be colostrum still?). i decided to give formula after i breastfeed. thank you so much.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

My baby was jaundiced at birth and still is. My Dr. checked his bili levels at the one week visit and they were normal, despite the apparent jaundice in his face and chest. He didn't seem too concerned and said it would most likely go away by the time we go back at the 2 week check up. I don't think it disappears overnight-

I did supplement my baby in the hospital w/ formula and also before my milk came in. The formula was rough on his tummy but I'm glad I did because he was just incredibly fussy until he was able have a wee bit of formula.

I'm having some BF problems, as we're just getting started with everything and some feedings I'm supplementing with a BM bottle. I know I probably don't need to do this anymore as he's making lots of poopy diapers but its working for us now.

I think that as long as you keep up the BF a bottle of BM would be okay, esp. if necessary to clear the jaundice until your milk comes in.

Keep us posted on the jaundice, I'm curious since I'm going through the same thing with my cutie.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I had to supplement because of jaundice - we were under the billi lights in the hospital for two days (or rather, he was). It turned out OK, but I had lots of problems with low supply in the first few months - the supplementing was a big part of that. Please make sure you pump even if you're supplementing with formula in those first few days - otherwise your body doesn't get the signals to kick the milk supply into gear (I did, but still had problems). Good luck, and let us know how things are going!

my son was under the lights and stuff too, but my one brother had it and they told us to take him outside in the sun for half an hour a day. I did it with Dyl and it cleared him up fast too.

Cecilia,

My son had jaundice and although we didn't have to get a bili-bed he did go for 3 heel sticks to make sure his levels were coming down. Our pediatrician advised us to supplement. He said that he needed to eat, eat eat to get the billirubin through his system. We supplemented 2 oz a day for about 5 days.

The way we did it was through a syringe with tubing attached to it that was placed up against my breast and I would just slip the tube into his mouth. It was extra work and my DH had to help hold the syringe and make sure that my son was actually sucking it through the tube. As soon as the syringe was empty we would take the tube out of his mouth and let him nurse till he was finished. This way there was no nipple confusion. It worked for us.

We also put him in his swing in front of the windows...the more sun the better.

this to shall pass.....take care,
    Karla

My DS had jaundice right after he was born - our second night at the hospital after he was born they set him up under the bili lights. It was a unit that they brought to our hospital room. I was instructed to nurse him every 60 min to help flush out his system. There was a pad with the lights that DS still lay on when I took him out of the bili thing to nurse. At no point did anyone even mention supplementing (a big yeah to the hospital where I delivered!). Between the bili lights and frequent nursing, we were given the ok to leave the hospital that day, and at the check up with the pediatrician the next day DS was fine. With nursing that frequently, my breasts had alot of stimulation so my milk actually came in during that long night with the bili lights. It was pretty cool to watch the change from colostrum to milk.

I totally agree with all the previous posters about the importance of getting lots of stimulation by baby to your breasts. If you supplement - your body very much needs that suckling signal to help with milk production.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My LO had jaundice to. He was born in Jan., so we couldn't go outside! We supplemented with formula. I pumped when we gave LO formula so that my milk supply would not decrease. I think it cleared up in about a week or less.