Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Caffeine or Coincidence?

Default Caffeine or Coincidence?

From time to time, my 4 month old dd has a bad day, lots of crying, can't be soothed...she just seems mad. A couple of times it has coincided with an iced tea I had with lunch and sometimes I had no caffeine at all.

I was wondering if an occasional cup of real coffee or an iced tea with lunch would affect her this way. Like I said, she'll get this way w/o the caffeine so I'm just not sure.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: Caffeine or Coincidence?

Probably not. Sometimes babies just fuss.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/caffeine.html

I am certain that for the first 3 months of dds life, she was super sensitive to caffeine. I couldn't even drink 1/2 cup in the morning. But I have heard its because caffeine builds up in baby's systems b/c they don't metabolize it well and then when the level gets high they react. Dunno, but dd reacted by not sleeping, fussing and being intolerable if I drank caffeine. It still affects her but not as bad. She is now 4 mo. I know they say 1 cup a day shouldn't affect them, but dd was super sensitivie to lots of things so I guess its possible.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Yup; you aren't wrong about babies not being able to metabolize caffeine. I've been wanting to jump in on this one but haven't had the time to dig through the journal articles to find primary reasearch to support this. That said....my understanding is that babies and young children - and babies in utero, of course - do NOT make the enzyme that adults do to break down and metabolize caffeine. So even if we're only giving them a small amount through milk or via the umbilical cord, what does get to baby just stays in their body much longer than it would in an adult. I need to find out when this changes, age wise, as I don't know that off the top of my head. It has always bothered me when pregnant and nursing women are told that it's OK to keep consuming caffeine because not alot gets to baby. Sure; that's true, but it's only part of the story. If you can live w/out caffeine in your diet, that's a much better option for your child for now. I have no idea if there is a correlation between the increase in the amount of caffeine women consume and how much ADD is seen in kids; I've started to wonder though. (please, that wasn't meant to be inflammatory in any way! I'm just thinkin' outloud, so to speak; it's the geek in me, I guess.)
    And yeah, believe me, I know how hard it is to pass on the diet colas and coffee....on very limited sleep...trying to do so many things..... yup. Been there. Still am there! My last cup of 'leaded' coffee (i've probably had about 10 decafs; they have caffeine too) was on July 5th, 2004 (yes, 2004), a few days before we started TTC. DS is now nearly 13 months old....

OK, to be totally honest, I had - no joke - 2 oz of coffee with about 8 oz of milk when DS was ~3 months old. I kid you not, the child was awake and bonkers for 16 straight hours! You can bet that DH made me swear off coffee until we're done BF!
    Jsmom (wishin' for that 3pm cuppa right about now!)

I have heard that they start to metabolize caffeine around 3 or 4 months and I have been "getting away" with about 1/2-3/4 cup of coffee in the morning, but I don't drink anything else with caffeine all day. I have heard that chocolate has something in it that really resembles caffeine (or maybe it even has caffeine) in it too, so beware of chocolate. I don't eat any anymore (bummer cuz I really got addicted when I was pregnant). But I don't need the extra calories. And I too wish I could have the 3pm cup right now!!!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes