Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trouble with feeding

Unhappy trouble with feeding

Jacob is 3 days old. Most of thetime he does not have problems latching on. However there are feedings where he doesn't want to latch on, even if it has been 2-3 hrs after thelast feeding. he would cry but wouldn't close his mouth to latch on my breast when i bring it to him. Sometimes he would make a couple of sucks then would push it out. Could it be because he'snot yet hungry? or doesn't like the taste of the milk? I used a pacifier for just a couple of times to satisfy his sucking needs (plus my nipples already hurt from him sucking too long) so i don't know if that has an effect too. I really am at a lost. his circumcision has not yet healed so i again don't know if that could be another reason. I'm worried he's not getting enough milk. I did notice that my breast are starting to produce milk (milk is coming out when i pinch my breast). Help!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: trouble with feeding

Are you engorged? Do your breasts feel hard or tight? Some women find that pumping just a little bit of milk to empty the breast will help the little one latch on. Since you are so new to this, you really need to contact your local LLL leader. They might be able to come to you to see what's going on.

-Lauren

day 3 is when your going to start to have some engorement issuse.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html
    in the middle of that link it talks about reverce pressure softing.
    I wish that I would have know about that with my dd.
    She was c-section and i had lots of extra fluids because of the iv.
    this link talks about how to tell if baby is getting the milk they need
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Thank you so much!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

I found out that he still has jaundice and his jaundice is making him more sleepy and lethargic. He doesn't want to latch on because he is weak to move his jaw. doctor adviced to supplement until my milk has come in.

I'm not engorged, at least not yet. I don't know if my milk is in now or when it will come. I had low supply when my first son was born, and had trouble breastfeeding. I hope this time I can be successful with breastfeeding Jacob.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

I am having the exact same problem. My baby has jaundice as well, and it seems to be clearing up. My milk really inceased in supply today, but the baby seems to not want to take the left breast for some reason. Hopefully things will improve for both of us soon. Just hang in there and good luck.

I really would call a LLL Leader. Supplementing could lead to supply issues, especially if you aren't pumping. She could also help you figure out if your milk has come in.

Hi Cecilia

PLEASE get ahold of a LLL Leader or an IBCLC in your area to work with you and your baby as you deal with jaundice. Supplementing is rarely necessary and can interfere with your breastfeeding relationship. What did the doctor say to use for a supplement? Ideally if you MUST supplement, it would be with your own pumped milk.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

how are things today?
    any beter.

Jacob is gaining weight and is taking both breast and the bottle. I'd like to say he has no nipple confusion because he seems to be latching on well (i still feel the contractions in my cervix). However my new concern now is if he is getting enough milk from my me. He would still drink about 1.5 oz of formula after staying on my breast for 30-40 minutes. I would pump (altho not consistently) after i breastfeed and would get about .5 of milk to less than an ounce. Shouldi start thinking about taking herbs? I see seed-like things in his dirty diaper but the consistency is thick bec of the formula. I guess he does get breastmilk.

thanks for all the encouragement ladies!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay