Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight

Question weight

My little piglet was a pretty large baby when he was born...I think he was the largest of the preemie babies in the NICU. He has really gained weight since hes been home, and as of yesterday hes 11 pounds. At first I thought that was great but then I wondered if I feed him too much??

Default Re: weight

Don't worry about feeding him too much!!!! Preemies need to make up for lost time. Feed him whenever he needs it! They need to build up a fat reserve for when they start getting active. We want to see fatty cheeks, thunder thighs, and belly rolls!

he is definetely getting there...

My premie was also the largest in the NICU. He continued to grow really quickly when I was giving him the bottle at home with pumped breastmilk. Once I weaned him off the bottle and began only feeding him at the breast, his weight gain slowed down. When babies feed directly at the breast, they know when and how much they should eat so they're less likely to overeat, as opposed to bottle feeding (that's one reason why breastfed babies are less likely to become obese when they get older). Is your baby taking the bottle for some of his feedings? If so, that might be the reason he is gaining so quickly. How many ounces are you giving at each feeding? If you're not bottle feeding, then his growth is great. Premies need to catch up.

Sarah
    Proud Mother of a 34-weeker and Registered Dietitian

I thought the same thing because my dd almost doubled her birthweight to 10 lbs at her 2 month appointment but my Dr. said it was fine and that she was just catching up.