Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not taking to breast feeding

Default Baby not taking to breast feeding

Hi, my friend had a baby 3 weeks ago and the baby will latch and then come off in a few minutes. My friend is pumping and giving her breastmilk through the bottle. It sounds like she is giving up getting the baby to nurse and plans to pump for the year, is this possible? She also is getting sick of pumping so frequently and is trying to, as she says it, "train her breasts" to pump more at a pumping session. Is this possible when her baby is just 3 weeks old? If the baby was nursing she would be nursing every 2 hours. I was just curious.

Thanks for your time!

Default Re: Baby not taking to breast feeding

It IS possible to pump and feed expressed milk for that long, but many of the mothers who do it would MUCH rather be feeding baby directly from the breast.

I'm concerned about your friend saying that she's going to "train" her breasts to go longer between feedings. This is almost certain to cause a dip in her supply. The best way to keep/improve a milk supply is to frequently remove milk from the breasts. If she goes longer between pumpings, she may notice an increase in her output at first, but her supply will quickly drop after that.

HTH. Please send her our way. We'd love to help her with breastfeeding in any way we can!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!