Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: MRI and breastfeeding

Default MRI and breastfeeding

I was supposed to get an MRI tomorrow and the people called me last minute saying that I need to have 48 hours worth of milk stored to feed my baby following the MRI. It is not an MRI with contrast, just a plain scan. Is this really necessary? I had to cancel the appointment because I do not have that much stored up.

I may reschedule it for tomorrow afterall because I have been reading that nursing after an MRI is perfectly safe. Is this true???

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: MRI and breastfeeding

According to this information, it is safe to bf when you have an MRI.

I work in Radiology and do MRI scans all the time. There is no reason why you can't bf after an MRI scan, even most contrast media are safe as they are excreted pretty quick. The only scan that requires you don't nurse for 24-48 hours is a Nuclear Medicine scan, as this involves an injection of a radioactive isotope, so your milk would be slightly radioactive for 24-48 hours depending on how much they give you.

Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
    I work in Radiology and do MRI scans all the time. There is no reason why you can't bf after an MRI scan, even most contrast media are safe as they are excreted pretty quick. The only scan that requires you don't nurse for 24-48 hours is a Nuclear Medicine scan, as this involves an injection of a radioactive isotope, so your milk would be slightly radioactive for 24-48 hours depending on how much they give you.

Jenny
    Glowing momma milk!