Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When will my baby sleep longer than 3 hrs.

Default When will my baby sleep longer than 3 hrs.

My son is 8 wks and wakes up ever 3 hrs on the dot to nurse. Sometimes i will pump just to see how much he's getting and i pump no less than 6 ounce every 3 hrs lot huh. Well he's eatting it all. I just dont understand how he can eat 6 ounces ever 3 hrs. It seems like alot to me. He's 15 pounds and 25 inches long at 8 wks. He's in 3 dipers and almost 6 month clothes. Hes a very big boy. Does anyone else have a baby like mine...

~Lindsey~

Default Re: When will my baby sleep longer than 3 hrs.

I think every 3 hours is reasonable for an 8 week old. You actually may see an increase in the desire to nurse when your baby goes through a growth spurt. The rounded age for those are 3, 6, 9, 12, and 16 weeks; give or take a week. They don't last too long.
    When you pump in addition to nursing you send the message to your breast to produce more milk, it seems like you already have a good supply and I would caution about doing much pumping now before your milk supply is established.
    As far as not being able to fathom the amount your baby is eating keep in mind that you are fueling a huge race car. The brain is developing, the bones and muscles are growing. Its amazing to think they can grow 2 inches in under ten days. All that milk makes it possible, don't worry about your baby over eating. After 6 months most bf babies slow their growth rate down and all the extra fat gets used up as they get taller and leaner. I read that it evens out.

Mine wont sleep for more than 1 hour....so you are pretty lucky if you ask me

Sure did! He's 27 lbs now, 16 mo and doing great! And, last night I only had to nurse him once and then early this morning. Things do get better. During the day (and night) every three hours would have been a long time for my LO. Sounds like the two of you are doing great. Hang in there.

Wow! he is big! He looks so healthy and beautiful, you're doing a good job, mom!

It was about 12 weeks before my DD started nursing less frequently, we could go for abot 4-5 hour stretches at night. She's 5 months now and about 17.5lbs. Hang in there! Bring him to bed with you, that's what I had to do.

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

Up until 6-8 wks DS was nursing every 1-2 hrs around the clock. And then it was every 2-3 hrs (with a few exceptions) up until just a couple weeks ago (he is 14 mos). Now, I don't think that's "normal" but it may give you some perspective. Your LO is still so very young. DS was a very big baby like yours. He was also 15 lbs at 8 wks, 17 lbs at 12 wks and 20 lbs at 6 mos. After that, weight gain all but stopped and now I have the opposite worries (is he getting enough?).

Keep it up! You're doing fine!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Until ~8weeks DD nursed every 2 hours around the clock. After she turned 2 mos she started sleeping one 5-6 hour stretch at night - the first night that happened I woke up in a panic that something had happened to her! Your little guy looks like he is thriving! I wouldn't assume that he is eating 6oz every 3 hours though - your milk supply changes throughout the day and the amount you pump might not be what he is eating. I would also recommend not pumping unless you need to. (I think pumping early on led me to oversupply issues that I am still dealing with.)

If he is eating every 3 hours it sounds like he is already making a good schedule for himself. About 8 weeks I started a bedtime routine with DD - it is a little early for some babies. I bathe her every night, put on her pj's, dad reads her a story and I nurse her in a very dark bedroom. I think the routine lets her know what is coming and the dark bedroom signals to her that it is time to sleep not time to eat. But if your guy is really hungry he might need to eat every 3 hours around the clock for a while. He looks great!

Mez didn't sleep longer than three hours at a time until he was 2 years old. When he was 8 weeks old, it was every 45 minutes. I was insane from sleep deprivation. I was lucky my husband was working from home. He could hold Mez while I took a nap here and there during the day. Be prepared for the sleeping patterns to go up and down. Just because he is sleeping in 3 hour stretches, doesn't mean that will last. Enjoy it while you can.

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenS View Post
    Mez didn't sleep longer than three hours at a time until he was 2 years old.
    Lauren