Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constantly sucking

Default Constantly sucking

I am a first time mom and my dd is 10 weeks old. The past couple weeks my dd had been sucking everything she can even on me (she actually gave me a hicky last week on my collar bone when she was sleeping on my stomach, that was fun to explain) she sucks on her burp cloth as soon as we get done nursing, she sucks on her hands and knuckles, I don't think he can find her thumb yet. Should I be giving her a pacifier? I have read that some babies have more need to suck than others. I have been hesitant to give her a pacifier b/c I have read it can cause early weaning and poor latching. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Constantly sucking

Hi! You are right, some kids have a need for sucking more than others - is she hungry or just looking for comfort? Would she latch if given the opportunity? Seems like my son was constantly sucking things and was latched all the time back in those days. I did not give a pacifier because I too was worried about that interfering. I did end up giving him a teething toy after a while and he actually got teeth pretty early (4 months). And I can say I am happy that he'll be turning one in another week and he has never had any formula so I am happy with my choice back then. ) Trust your instincts and you will be fine.

My son is 8 wks old and has the same problem. If he could suck on my breast all day he would but i would go nuts. He's had a sucker since he was born and only take it a few times a day. I dont think its a bad thing. It's alot easier to take a sucker away than it is there fingers or trumb, so keep that in mind. I really don't think it interfering with breastfeed at all, at least my son doesn't have any problems. Being that your son is 10 wks he should all ready have the breastfeeding thing down pat. I use the advent suckers and my son seems to like them. I hope i was a little help. God bless and good luck...

~Lindsey~

New mother to an 8wks old baby boy names Russell Michal, born 4-3-07 ( 7 pounds 9 ounces at birth).. He's 15 pounds and 25 inches long as of 5-30-07.

Quote Originally Posted by csan View Post
    is she hungry or just looking for comfort? Would she latch if given the opportunity? Seems like my son was constantly sucking things and was latched all the time back in those days. I did not give a pacifier because I too was worried about that interfering.
    No I don't believe she is hungry, I think she would latch on all the time if she could. It really starts to hurt if I leave her on to long because she somehow pinches the end of my nipple with her tongue and the roof of her mouth. If it weren't for that I wouldn't mind letting her latch on all day. It is not until the end of her nursing sessions when this happens. I have tried giving her a couple pasi's recently and I don't think she really understands what they are supposed to be used for so she never sucks on them. I was the same way, scared that it would interfer so that is why I waited so long to try a paci. I wonder if she is going to be getting teeth early, she drools a lot and I always thought drooling was a sign of a child teething. I guess I will just have to wait and see on that one.