Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hindmilk--where is it? how long to reach it?

Default hindmilk--where is it? how long to reach it?

Hey there, this may seem like a simple question, but how long until the hindmilk is reached at a feeding? I have a couple to several letdowns during a feeding, sometimes at the very end of one side, it will actually surprise me sometimes. IS there hindmilk in this? Or is it just pulled out from the dredges? I nurse as much as 25 minutes on one side, changes positions during, b/c my 4.5 week old daughter is a sleepy/lazy nurser. And I feel like I drain both breasts at a feeding. She is still small, just at her birth weight at 4 weeks. I was wondering if she was getting enough hindmilk, although I think she is now, cuz I read on another thread that if her poop is more yellow than green, then the hindmilk is there. But I do remember some green poop for awhile too, like last week.

Default Re: hindmilk--where is it? how long to reach it?

Here is a website that helped me som much to understand "hindmilk and formilk".
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html
    Is your lo having lots of wet and poopy diapers? I think I read somewhere that you should nurse at least 10 minutes to insure that you are empting your breast. After reading the link I think that it will be easier to understand. Keep up the good work!!!!

I would make a loose assumption that after you experience your first let down you clear out a strong percentage of the foremilk and move on quickly to the fattier stuff.

I've read that there's really no such thing as foremilk and hindmilk. There's just milk- thinner and more watery at the beginning of a feeding, thicker and creamier at the end. It's not like there's some switch in your breasts that flips and all of a sudden you change from all foremilk to all hindmilk.

The way to make sure that your baby is getting enough of the creamy stuff is to let her finish the first breast before offering the second. You'll know she's done with side one when her sucking slows. At the beginning of the nursing session the baby is going suck-suck-suck-suck-swallow-suck-swallow. At the end the pattern changes to more of a suck...pause...suck-suck...pause.

A lot of mamas are told "Give the baby 10 minutes on side one, 10 minutes on side two, and then the feeding is done. Any longer and the baby will get fat/spoiled/gassy/etc." If you hear this advice, just ignore it! Throw out the clock, and watch your baby. She knows what she needs.