Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cramping and haven't gotten my period

Default Cramping and haven't gotten my period

I have a 14 month old and still nursing. I just wondered how long before you got your period and did it come back with avengence? I have had a crampy stomache for 2 weeks and not sure if it my cycle coming back/

Default Re: Cramping and haven't gotten my period

This may be the obvious question, but have you taken a hpt? I'm always crampy at the start of my pregnancies. Some women do ovulate before their first postpardum period.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I've had this off and on for the past couple of months- I can totally relate. I'm curious if anyone has an answer. Yikes! I hope I don't need an HPT!

For 2 solid weeks prior to the return of AF I flet crampy and bloated and VERY pregnant. I actaully did break down and buy a HPT. It was negative and AF started a few days later. It came back with a vengance, but ever successive month has been a little easier.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

I've been crampy on and off for the past month - I think it's common - your body is just trying to gear up to start ovulating again. The levels of estrogen start coming in like waves working up towards the peak that will trigger LH and ovulation. It might take a long time to work up to the level that actually triggers ovulation and therefore AF to follow 12 -16 days later. Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler is full of all kinds of cool info on this subject if you want to know more about what your body's up to and don't want to worry about HPTs!!