Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harder than I thought

Default Re: Harder than I thought

Well last 24 hours we took a big step backwards. He has screamed, arched his back, scratched me... all while trying to latch him onto both sides. Nursing has lasted less than 10 minutes at a time and he's hungry soon after.

We had one interesting nursing session in bed laying down, he seriously went wild nursing I thought he was going to suck my nipple off, lol.

I'm hoping this is just the start of a growth spurt (today he's 2 weeks) and tomorrow will be a better day. I really need to get to a LLL meeting but just haven't gotten a chance to.

It helps to read these forums and know other people are going through similar experiences.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I really need to get to a LLL meeting but just haven't gotten a chance to.
    Hey, sometimes it's hard to get out of the house with a new baby! Please feel free to phone a leader in your area (click the link in my signature to find one). Leaders are always happy to give phone help, and some are even willing to do home visits.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I agree with a pp that he might be too hungry by the time he gets to the breast. Since the extra feedings seemed to help stick with that and maybe nurse more often. In the begining I put DS to the breast pretty much any time he was awake just to make sure I didn't miss his hungar cues
    And if side laying position was such a hit stick with it. What a great excuse to lay in bed and bond with your new baby!

Also a BFing pillow called My Brestfriend really helped me. It's more sturdy then a Boppy so it can completly support LO weight helping to free up your hands for positioning. It made the football hold a lot easier when my DS would only nurse in that position

He might also be responding to a smell he doesn't like? Perfume, lotion, deodorant, soap? I've also been told eating something vanilla-y helps make BM sweeter and can help in difficult times.

Your doing a great job though and it'll get easier eventually. Keep up the good work!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Riley used to arch his back and cry a lot at the beginning too. We were convinced it was "colic", but I think really he was just very hungry and gassy at the same time. Mylicon was a lifesaver! Also when he was too hungry too latch, I'd walk the floor with him. Bouncing and patting his back/bottom until he'd settled enough to latch on.

Hang in there! We're at 7 months now and still going strong!

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    Also a BFing pillow called My Brestfriend really helped me. It's more sturdy then a Boppy so it can completly support LO weight helping to free up your hands for positioning. It made the football hold a lot easier when my DS would only nurse in that position
    I have that pillow and he hates it, ha ha. I'm hoping to be able to use it further down the BF road.

Today we had our 2 week ped visit and guess what? My LO gained 1.5 lbs in 6 days!!!!!! All of the BF struggles are paying off and he is doing really great off mommy's milk. I talked to the Dr. today about it and he said it 'could' be reflux, but most likely just the two of us being inexperienced with BF'ing and it would all work out.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Wow, that's encouraging, isn't it? It's always nice to find that we're doing even better than we think we are. I agree with your doc--your both learning the steps to a new "dance" and it will get easier with time.

I had another thought--you mentioned baby arching his back when you tried to latch him. Are you by any chance holding his neck/upper back when you try to latch him? Babies have a reflex that makes them arch when the neck/upper back is touched. You might find holding the back of his head and using the cross-cradle hold will help get him latched a little easier.

Hang in there mama!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    I've also been told eating something vanilla-y helps make BM sweeter and can help in difficult times.
    That's cool! I've never heard that before. But I'll have to give it a try. My LO just started eating solids, and HATES avocado. So I'm feeling guilty about the guacamole and salsa cravings I had when I was pregnant. And now.

MommyLuvsU, here's a big . BF wasn't easy for me, either. But we've doing it for 7 months now... And it does get WAY easier. So hang in there, and keep using LLL for support.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

In this month's LLL New Beginnings magazine, a mom shared that when she held her breast as if she were feeding a baby a sandwich (shape of C) if helped her baby latch on easier espeicially when she was small. Give it a try. Your LO is learning to bf so making it a little easier for him/her might help. Good luck
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com