Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk letdown stronger at night?

Default milk letdown stronger at night?

I have a 3 wo who nurses great during the day, but at night we go through 4-5 hours straight of him latching on and pulling back & off the nipple as though my letdown is too strong. He does not sputter or choke on milk, but I can hear through his swallowing that he is getting mouthfuls of milk and having to gulp them down.

Last night I think I tried every trick in the book to help him--cold compresses, nursing positions that had him upright above the breast, laying on my back, etc., but nothing helped. He sucks for a few seconds, then releases & cries in frustration--and this happens over and over and over for 4 hours.

Is this just nightime fussiness? He is happy and content nursing all day with no problems.

thanks!

Default Re: milk letdown stronger at night?

Here's a link that might help. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html Could it be that he wants to comfort suck and is annoyed that he's getting milk? Just throwing an idea out there...

Thanks--that link describes exactly what my lo is doing!

My LO does this exact same thing (just not only at night!). I've found that she needs the pacifier just to comfort suck- she won't comfort suck at the breast but I can definitely tell when only her binky will do!!!!

so does my baby! i had had almost supplemented her with formula! luckily to read this in time!