Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harder than I thought

Default Harder than I thought

My baby is one week and one day old, was born at 37 weeks 5 days. He had trouble in the hospital and was a hungry/fussy little man and we supplemented with formula. He was still latching on at that point really well though.

Came home, when the milk came in a few days later he flipped out. He would cry and take forever to latch and it wasn't a pleasurable experience. Then 2 days ago he was nursing much better... although only on one side.

Now he is again back to his fussy ways and having huge temper tantrums every time we are going to nurse. Sometimes he latches on and sometimes he doesn't. When it goes past three hours or so I supplement with pumped milk.

Last night I discovered if I let him have a small sip of the pumped bottle first he will relax and latch on. Is that a good practice to use for the time being? Also, how concerned should I be that he is only nursing out of one side?

I'm not ready to give up but some hours I want to cry because we're so far away from that point of happy nursing. Any input is appreciated.

Default Re: Harder than I thought

Please know that you are not alone. Months ago we were in the same boat and I would cry, and baby would cry, and DH would cry...and it hurt, and breasts felt full and baby felt empty... but know that it does and will get better. it took us a good 3 months to get it running smoothly (and of course there are obstacles and challenges later). If you have the option, enlist the help and advice of some women in your area (possibly family, a mother's group, LLL, etc) just for some help with BF, but also just some general support.
    Keep at it, it will work out for both of you and you will love it!

Mari
    Mommy to Mohamed 6-9-06

If a sip or two of supplemental EBM helps baby to calm down enough to latch and nurse then that's fine. It may also help to offer the breast sooner, before he's really hungry. A hungry baby just wants milk the fastest, easiest way he can get it and may not want to bother with the effort it takes to latch and nurse. This will get better as he gets bigger and gets more practice at nursing.

Many babies take to one breast easier than the other. It could have to do with difference in flow, shape of the nipple, the nursing position, or a birth injury that could cause pain when positioned to nurse on one side. Keep pumping the less preferred breast to keep up supply. You can try offering it in different positions (you can try nursing him on the preferred breast, then unlatch and slide him over in the same position to the other breast (rather than actually turning him on his other side). This might require some help and a nursing pillow. I think the most important thing right now, though, is getting him to the breast--whichever one that might be . He will likely take to the other one in time.

Hang in there! BF can be very challenging in the beginning, but it does get better!
    Last edited by llmommy; May 31st, 2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typo

you could try and hand express some milk before. That helps some babies.
    IF you have found a trick that works use it!
    Don't be afraid to call your local leader shes around to help!
    andrea

It might help to use a syringe with a little milk in it when the baby is first latching on. Then he will get a taste of what is to come but you do not have to mess with bottles! BF is hard work, but it will get easier. Personally, I think the first 6 weeks are the hardest.

I think my baby has been reading the forums too. Since I posted he has been nursing better w/o bottle taste to start.... I just spent yesterday wearing no shirt and putting him to nurse 2 times more than we had been doing. We also played around with positioning and football hold helps a ton when he is fussy. He actually smiles (well it looks like a smile!) when done.

He also took to his least fav side 3 times.

I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.

Glad to hear things are going better! Those small victories make all the difference in the world. For lots of moms bfing is much harder than we thought it would be, but with support we're able to get through it and eventually (I know it seems hard to believe right now) enjoy it and have it come easily. It won't be completely smooth sailing from here on out, but you've learned that changes can make a big difference when you are frustrated and that's very important. Hang in there!

Hi there
    I'm glad to hear things are going better for you! I wondered how you are determining that he's hungry and ready to eat? Crying is a late hunger cue, and sometimes if babies get to the point where they cry to be fed, they can get frantic and difficult to latch. You might try latching him a bit sooner than usual and see if that helps the problem as well. You can also try expressing a bit of your milk and letting him lick that off the nipples rather than using a bottle

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Just take it one day at at time...it does get much better. Try expressing some milk before your baby latches on so that the taste on your nipples gets him going. Good luck and come back with questions.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Talking Re: Harder than I thought

I guess we all thought it would be easier than it actually is. I went through the same thing and sometimes you feel like you are all alone but you are not. I'm glad to hear he is feeding better now and just remember that breast milk is the best thing for baby so don't give up.
    We are all here for you.