Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: she tried to nurse!!! - question, though

Default she tried to nurse!!! - question, though

My dd is just over 4 weeks old and has been very opposed to nursing. She never latched in the hospital so we've been pumping & giving her BM while letting her try nursing as often as possible.
    THEN, these past couple of days she has taken several feedings with a nipple shield (which she used to refuse) We're so excited- and I'm grateful for the breaks from pumping. You ladies have been invaluable during these hard first weeks. Thanks for all your support.
    I have another question - this morning I was laying on my back in bed after her last feeding. She was on her stomach against my bare chest - when suddenly she started to latch! I was so surprised - I don't know if I jerked and scared her off, or if she couldn't hold the latch while lying on her tummy. I know some babies nurse like that, but if she's not holding up her head yet, can she nurse like that? When she moves her head while on her tummy it's so jerky - she's strong but not able to control her movements very well. Would it help if I sat up just a little? Like a reclining position? Any thoughts?
    She may not try again but I'd like to give her opportunities to do so!

Default Re: she tried to nurse!!! - question, though

YEAHH! I think that's a great sign. Yes, she can nurse like that. Babies can do that right after birth--they self-latch. That's the goal with the skin-to-skin. It might be helpful to prop yourself up a bit with some pillows, or you may find its easier for her lying more flat. Just experiment, keep doing the skin-to-skin, and see if she will take over on her own.

Keep us posted!

YEA!!! MY LO was the same way and did not nurse until 3 weeks old. The next several months were half-attempts but not real nursing. Then at about 6 weeks it clicked and she knew there was food in there. She still had latching issues but we worked through it. You are doing an awesome job and keep it up!! Try any position you can think of and you will find what she likes. Yea!!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Thanks Marymud! That's so encouraging. She seems to be willing to nurse with the nipple shield about every other feeding. She does best if she's woken up on her own, but during the day I wake her up at the three hour mark. (I let her sleep at night - when she was first born she was all mixed up about her days and nights aren't they all? ) She hasn't really made any more honest attempts to nurse without the shield, but if she'll nurse with the shield i'll take it for now it's better than pumping and giving a bottle! Thanks for your support. What fo I do when she gets frustrated at the breast with the shield? It seems like she reaches a point of no return - she gets a little frustrated and she's done and wants the bottle...should I give in so she doesn't start refusing again altogether? That's what I'm assuming. Any other suggestions or success stories are welcome