Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old eating habits

Default 2 week old eating habits

My son is having great diaper output, but I'm wondering about something...All the things I've read say "when baby is finished with one breast, offer the other"--my baby finishes one breast, then the other & sometimes repeats for a total of 6 breasts. Other times, he is satisfied with one breast or wants the other side, too. Is this cluster feeding or does this mean that my breasts are not producing enough milk?

thanks!

He is also above his birthweight.

Default Re: 2 week old eating habits

At two weeks it could also be a growth spurt. Your lo will make sure your breasts make enough milk for him, and if that mean switching several times, that's okay. It's normal for them to have different feeding patterns at throughout the day.

Sounds like a growth spurt to me! That is, is he actively swallowing and feeding the whole time? If not, it could easily be comfort sucking, too.

Many babies will have a "cluster feed" session like this once or twice a day, and as the PPs have said, they'll increase during a growth spurt. If he's got good output, he's getting enough to eat

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!