Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair changes--Please help

Default Hair changes--Please help

Hi, I am a proud mom of a three month old baby boy. I have a curly or maybe wavy hair to begin with. I used to use a mild relaxant (straightener) for my hair which made it completely straight for up to six months. I went to my hair stylist and did the exact same procedure. I was very sad and dissapointed. Not only it did not straighten my hair it burn it. My hair is now wavy and in very bad condition.
    I called my hairstylist right away and she said that she did everything correctly but it did not work because I am breastfeeding and my hormones and still going crazy. I think she is right but I wanted to share my misery. I was actually very excited to have my hair straight and not having to use the flat iron every day but unfortunately pregnancy does crazy things not only to our bodies.
    Please share if this happened to you too.

Thank you!

Default Re: Hair changes--Please help

Hi,

I have had poker straight hair all my life, at one point I had it so long I could sit on it. A great curtain of sleek straight hair. I now have two children, one nearly 4 the other nearly a year old. I also now have wavy/curly hair. It started after I had my first baby, the back underneath section of my hair went wiggley wavy, and during my second pregnancy the rest went wavy too. It is not evenly curly all over, some of it is still a bit straighter than other parts, but it is definately not straight anymore!!

Your hairdresser is only partly right, it is because of the hormonal changes that your hair has changed, but it is more to do with the changes of pregnancy, not so much the fact that you are breastfeeding.

I would try not to worry about it, and perhaps embrace your curls, I have a good diffuser hairdryer now and it gives me a lovely mane of wavy curls when I use it!!

Jenny

Thank you for the reply. I have always had curly, wavy hair and I always wanted straight (of course). People with straight hair want it curly. It is only natural .
    I wish I knew that my hair will be ruined before I did the procedure. Now I have to buy some very strong conditioner and mask and try to slowly fix the damage. I guess I have to stick to the flat iron. .

Oh let me tell you. I never new that breastfeeding had anything to do with hair changing. I went and got my hair dye and it turned 4 different colors and there is nothing they can do. Im so mad. I look stupid and dont want to go out in public. So for anyone thinking of dyen your hair while breastfeeding beware of problems..

Lindsey

Yes actually you are right. I went to color my hair and it did not work. Come to think of it, I did not even think it could be related to changes from the pregnancy. I thought something was wrong with the color since I was using semi permanent. .

I did not know that so many things will change after giving birth. I expected that the body will go through transformation but it seems that everything else is too.

Well we have to look on the bright side, right? We have beautiful healthy babies to make us happy. The rest we will try to fix or live with, right???

Im a hairstylist... and yep. Alot of women have problems with color, or chemical treatments not taking or damaging their hair due to the changes in the body. You know how people say its bad to get your hair done when pregnant because of chemicals and such, that is NOT the case!!! Its the changes in the body affecting your hair and the outcome, so stylists dont want to do it. Thats why a good stylist will always do a 'strand test' if they know their client is pregnant or bfing...

For the frazzled hair, try biolage hydratherapy... Works wonders!

to All of the BF moms with drastic hair changes. While my texture did not change my hair fell out.....Badly

...especially around the edges so know I have newgrowth that is too short to lay flat in a pontail or down with a headband.

Its nice to know puberty has no age limit....
    If she didnt reach for me at birth I still wouldn't believe that she's all mine.

Terrible 2s dont exist... Who am I kidding?!?

Quote Originally Posted by CoopersMommy View Post
    Im a hairstylist... and yep. Alot of women have problems with color, or chemical treatments not taking or damaging their hair due to the changes in the body. You know how people say its bad to get your hair done when pregnant because of chemicals and such, that is NOT the case!!! Its the changes in the body affecting your hair and the outcome, so stylists dont want to do it. Thats why a good stylist will always do a 'strand test' if they know their client is pregnant or bfing...

For the frazzled hair, try biolage hydratherapy... Works wonders!
    I am ruining my hair with the flat iron anyway. What would you advice me to do about straightening my hair since the chemical procedure did not work. Is the biolage hydratherapy where can I find it and is it expensive?
    Thank you in advance.

Now I dyed my hair while I was pregnant myself... have been for years. I'm due to redye very soon, now its got me wondering if its going to mess it up now after I gave birth. Do you think that if it was fine before I gave birth that I shouldn't have any problems now??

biolage--- jc penneys has the big liter bottles, 2 for 28(shampoo &conditioner)right now..and the flat iron is ok, just use a heat protectant on ur ends... tresemme (walmart) has a good spray... id say wait 3-4 months and try again (have them do a strand test for)

Ulki--- u should be ok, but do a strand test if your worried!