Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: having trouble

Default having trouble

I have a 10 day old and am having a lot of trouble breastfeeding. My milk didn't come in until late-late day 5. Emileigh became jaundice and lost amost 1lb...against my mother's wishes, I started to supplement as well as breastfeed. Now Emileigh won't even try to breastfeed. She just cries and cries. We tried for over an hour the other day and she barely ate anything. I decided to pump so that she would at least be getting breast milk. The first time I did, I got 4 full ounces-10 minutes on each side. I, now, pump every 2-3 hours and barely get 1 ounce total. I know that isn't enough for her so I am mixing it with formula. How can I make myself get more milk?

Default Re: having trouble

Hi and congratulations on your new LO! I'm sorry you are having trouble getting started with breastfeeding. Many moms have difficulty in the beginning and go on to have successful breastfeeding relationships. First, I'd like to suggest that you go to see an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). These are professionals with the most amount of training in breastfeeding. The IBCLC can help you with getting baby to latch and with management of supplements as long as they are needed. When a baby isn't latching to nurse, it usually most beneficial to have some in person help. Here is a link to find an IBCLC in your area: http://gotwww.net/ilca/. You can also call a local LLL leader for help.

In the meantime, I have a few suggestions/questions. Regarding the pumping--what type of pump are you using? A hospital grade double electric pump is likely to work the best. You can often rent them from the hospital. How many pumping sessions are you able to get in in 24 hours?

How many wet/dirty diapers are you seeing in each 24 hours? Has baby had another weight check to see if she has started gaining?

In regard to feeding the baby and encouraging baby to latch - my main suggestion would be LOTS of skin to skin contact. Strip baby down to just a diaper and hold her against your bare chest (with her head near your breasts but without pressure to latch and nurse). You can wrap a blanket around both of you for warmth or even tie a sheet around to form a makeshift baby carrier. This way you can rest or read without having to constantly hold up the baby. This skin to skin contact helps bring out baby's natural inclination to nurse and also helps with milk production. Try to offer the breast occasionally when baby isn't too hungry. If she's really hungry she'll just want to eat the fastest way possible. Offer occasionally, but don't persist if baby starts to get upset. Just wait and try again later. Some mom's are successful getting baby to latch in the bathtub (warm water helps to relax mom and baby).

You may also want to look into alternative feeding methods for the supplements. Some options include a syringe, spoon, cup, or supplemental nursing system (which delivers milk through a tube attached to your breast). An IBCLC or LLL leader would be able to help you with these alternatives. While these methods are a bit more difficult to use than bottles, they are less likely to cause nipple confusion/preference issues. These methods are meant to be temporary until baby can just nurse full time.

Keep us posted and hang in there!

She is having enough wet/dirty diapers and is gaining but wasn't until I started to feed her formula mixed with the miniscule amount of breastmilk I can pump. The pump I use is a single automatic pump made by evenflo- I try to pump every 2 hours during the day and after she falls asleep at night-usually 2-3 times...i was told that I couldn't rent a pump anymore because of the infection rates. what amount of fluids should I be drinking....I have a liter bottle that I carry around with me...usually filling 2-3 times a day. Is there anything else that can be done to increase the amount of milk I make?

Carleigh
    Last edited by carleigh; May 30th, 2007 at 04:44 PM.

I am in a rush...here are some links that should help....Kellymom is a good site for Bf info

This link is about milk production...how your breasts work
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

This link is about pumpin and maintaining supply while Lo's not nursing http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

This link offers advice on helping your lo nurse
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

This link gives ideas on increasing milk supply
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

hth

Hey - congrats on your little girl! I agree with pp about seeing an LC or LLL leader.
    Regarding pumping - the quality of pump you use can greatly affect milk supply. I'm confused about why you can't rent - with renting, you buy your own tubing and flanges, and only rent the actual machine - that the milk never touches.
    If you can't get a hospital grade though, I'd at least recommend a double electric pump. You often get more if you pump both sides at once. I know a lot of people have had luck with Medela's Pump in Style, and I've had great success with the Lansinoh - available at target.
    Don't give up! You're doing great!