Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can't put newborn down! HELP!

Default Re: can't put newborn down! HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by surfinrn&mom2mason View Post
    wanted to also add that if you have someone close, ask them if they wouldn't mind holding him so that you can shower, and have them grab you a bite to eat on their way over
    I second this! When I start to feel super stressed, even now, it usually coincides with not having had a shower recently.

Quote Originally Posted by kayceesmom View Post
    Try putting lo down on his side at first. Newborns have a reflex reaction of startling when laid down on thier back. (At least that's what I've heard) My cousin had trouble putting her boy down b/c he always startled awake. Once she got in the habit of putting him down on his side first then rolling him over to his back she didn't have any more trouble.
    Before DS could crawl I would nurse him laying down and then roll off the bed, making a circle of pillows around him. I read The Attachment Parenting Book by Dr. Sears and it was an eye opener. No more hours spent in the rocking chair and no more stress.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

One word . . . SLING.

I wear my babies at this age most of the time. They sleep, I get stuff done.

If possible, I napped when the baby napped, and I nursed the baby down to nap. Let the house go, put everything you can on hold until this passes.

I recall both Ian and Colton going through that around 3 weeks, and it was a growth spurt. Many babies have a growth spurt around 3 weeks and 6 weeks, and all they want to do is nurse and sleep in your arms.

Someday, you will look back on this time and smile, but I KNOW how hard it is right now. Your baby needs you right now. Hang in there.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Talking Re: can't put newborn down! HELP!

Thank you all soooo much forl the responses! I tried swaddling my baby about 10 minutes ago and so far so good--no peep from him yet! However, now that he's out of my arms, I kinda miss him! (can I ever be satisfied?!?!) I am going to look into one of the slings that everyone is talking about!
    Thanks again ladies-you have all been a lifesaver during these early weeks!

I am in a similar situation. I totally feel your pain. My son is 8 weeks and does not like to be put down and never seems satisied even after nursing and falling asleep at the breast. Everyone I talked to said that he will grow out of it. But in the meantime they suggested investing in a sling or wrap. I use the Moby Wrap for my son. At least you can be mobile and have your hands free.

I use a maya wrap sling and love it. I didn't get it until my son was 4 mos old and wish I had it earlier. luckily he would also sleep in the swing during those early weeks.

I just wanted to say that I know mommas who are going through exactly what you are experiencing. Babies are babies... they need their moms. Some scientists believe human babies are born between 3 and 12 months early (due to our growing skull size as we evolved without enough corresponding change in our pelvis) so it's no wonder they are so helpless and needy.

This stage can be so frustrating and I know it's so hard to believe it know, but it will pass... it's funny you said you already miss him because I think that's how you will feel someday when he doesn't want to cuddle anymore!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Quote Originally Posted by fergie830 View Post
    Some scientists believe human babies are born between 3 and 12 months early (due to our growing skull size as we evolved without enough corresponding change in our pelvis) so it's no wonder they are so helpless and needy.
    There's a great article on the Didymos site about this topic in relation to baby wearing.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Do you know where on the didymos site? I couldn't find the article but would love to read it.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

OMG!!

I to remember those days. It will get better. My lo was the same way to. One day it will just stop. Those baby carriers that everyone is suggesting are your only hope to free your hands. I just hope you have a good strong back.

I am in the same boat right now.. but to make matters worse... we are moving in 2 weeks and I cant put him down to pack at ALL. He HATES the sling - unless he is really overtired and I walk around the block first. He doesnt like being swaddled either - he likes having free movement of his hands and feet - 6 weeks old

He sleeps soundly at night - but unfortunatly so do I so no packing then. I know once I got bored of TV I discovered My Brest Friend pillow - it lets me read or use the computer while my LO comfort sucks.

So a because I know exactly what you are going through =)

Quote Originally Posted by fergie830 View Post
    Do you know where on the didymos site? I couldn't find the article but would love to read it.
    Go to Opinions then Babys on the left. For the other section go to Tying Methods, Facing outwards and it will be in the bottom. Click the link at the bottom of that to read Dr. Kirkilionis' article. Sorry I can't just post a link, but the way their site is set up I can't.

ETA: Crap, that's directions to the wrong article. I'll have to look some more...